Which Franchi?

JNad

I recently had the pleasure of shooting a friends Franchi Affinity in 20. Great Gun. The Affinity fit me like a glove and shot exactly where I was looking. I know, stop talking/ typing whatever and go to the shop and get one.

I wish the Affinity could be had in the US with wood furniture, that won't stop me from getting one, if it turns out to be the best gun, but I just like wood stocks. The AL48, gets great reviews, and uses the Browning long recoil design (which I like very much), and the AL48 comes with the wood furniture I prefer.

So, what I would like to know is, are there guys out there who own or have owned both the Affinity and the AL48? Which one did you like better and why, please?

You are trying to compare apples and oranges from the same company - one is inertia and the other long recoil; kinda like comparing two Chevys - a Tahoe and a Vette

Well said BigD. I don't like inertia guns, or long recoil, or plastic, but if I was hunting grouse in the mountains like I did many moons ago, I would get a Franchi 48 in 20 gauge. They do work well.

Well, I will try to keep this analogy going - GM and Beretta. I might have said Camaro and 'Vette since we are talking about two mechanical - not gas -operated autos. The Tahoe would be the big, heavy, longer barrelled doubles. Then moving to Benelli's and the Pontiacs you would have the pumps being the Grand Prix, still fun to drive, but not quite as cool. Then you have to move over to Beretta and Cadillac to get the gas guns and the CTS - V; a lot of fun to drive, but definately cushier:)

So, let me be more specific: I get that we are dealing with two different actions, but both are mechanical, not gas, which is why I want one or the other, and someday both (I have nothing against gas guns, just prefer mechanical actions for me). I understand the different recoil impulses. My experience tells me that compared to an inertia gun, the long recoil is more of a push and the inertia gun closer to a punch. SO, please, tell me, those of you with experience with them, how was the quality of fit and finish in each, they aren't THAT far apart in price. Also, how did they fit YOU relative to each other. I know it won't be the same for me, but maybe I can extrapolate some things until I get a chance to handle an AL48.

Thanks.

I have a Franchi Affinity compact in 20 ga. and a Bennelli Montefeltro in 12 ga. I like both guns equally well, but I find myself grabbing the Affinity when I just want to go out and rustle up some birds. For me having the adjustable LOP option on the compact Affinity, made the gun fit me better than the full LOP Montefeltro. I am also a wood stock guy, but I sure do like the Affinity, and I have had absolutely no problems with it. (those 48's sure are a classy looking gun tho)

the Affinity is SO good, I have both a 12 and 20. None better and you get a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty... :)

10691888854_602a475f23_b.jpg

Back