Which follower for defense 870?

TCW

Hi,

I need a new follower on my 870 express. The gun is for home defense, so I'd like an orange or red one. Any suggestions? Ive seen the orange Remington for $5.00, but I'm not sure if it's metal or plastic.

Which material is better?

Thanks!
P.S. I'll be using a mag extension with it.

years ago I got an aftermarket steel cup follower. I never got spring bind, it never cracked or otherwise failed, and lo and behold, I could always tell if the tube was empty even though it was parkerized black and not shocking pink!

I love that ole steel cup...

having said that, Choate and Scattergun Technologies both make hi-density plastic followers in shocking colors...

(sorry, but I was not allowed simply to edit my previous post, I had to resort to a new reply to add the above...)

Ancient reactionary that I am, I prefer steel, in usual gun steel hues.

However, I've run across exactly zero probs with the plastic ones.A thread posted here inquiring about same had no responses.

Being of the old school, I see little use in a high viz follower, but to each his/her own.

Who am I to disagree with these folks, but...I have been using the Brownells red aluminum follower. Relatively visable, essentially indestructible, and pretty cheap. I have been thinking about drilling holes in the center and loctiting in a small machine screw, head to the rear, so I can feel when it's empty (heaven forbid! :-) ) in the dark.

Feeling is more important than color

I have a plastic one. It's some shocking color, but
I don't even know what it is. What I do know is that
it has a very large indentation in the middle, so it
feels nothing like a shotgun shell, and it's plastic,
so even the material itself doesn't feel like brass.

i have the scattergun tech. followers in my 870's they work fine, the magazine tube spring they sale is also one of the best i have ever used.

Consider two key follower features:

1) Highly Visible--so you can easily tell if a round is in the mag
2) Top Feels Unique--so you can feel it with your finger in the dark and tell if it is a round or the follower.

Most I know have a wild colored plastic follower in their defensive guns.

Get your friend's 870 and tell him you want to look at it. Then, when he isn't looking..... :-)

All jokes aside, I have an old 870 with a Remington law enforcement issue magazine extention. When I bought it, it came with the follower. Now it wasn't some sorta wierd color, but it came with it nevertheless.

As for a colored one, I guess you could take a current, stock, plastic plug/follower for an 870 and saw most of the plug off (but you didn't hear that from me...). Just make sure to leave enough plug to keep it from binding. It's flourescent green, if that suits ya. They should be readily available at most gun shows and good gun shops.

Back