Which FN49 Stripper Clip?

k98dave

Inactive
Are there unique stripper clips for the FN49? I have some that fit k98 but they seem a little loose in the Fn.

Thanks

Stripper clips usually mate with the ammunition, not the weapon. What caliber is your FN49 (7mm, .308, .30-06, 7.92)?

Chargers that fit a K98 are 8mm Mauser. Same case head diameter as .7.62NATO/.30-06/.308/7mm Mauser. Probably a tick loose because the spring is a bit flattened.

Mine is 30/06. I found some steel strippers that came from old DCM (aka CMP) ammo I had and they fit somewhat better into the receivers channel than the brass strippers that were from 8mm ammo. Glad I hung onto them.

8mm Mauser and 30-06 have different stripper clips.

I started with 8mm and thought I could reuse the clips for 30-06. It didn't work, and I had to get different clips. Not because of cartridge head diameters, but the clip guides on the rifles.

I also found quite some number of different calibers used the 30-06 clips.

My fn49 is in 8mm, so the 8mm clips for k98k obviously work.

-TL

"8mm Mauser and 30-06 have different stripper clips."

Yep, especially if you are talking about the FN Model 49. Belgium adopted two FN-made rifles at about that time, the Model 49 (SAFN auto rifle) and the Model 50, a Mauser '98 copy bolt action. Because the U.S. was supplying ammo, both were in .30-'06 and used Springfield clips because that is how the U.S. ammo came. (Model 49's made in other calibers used Mauser clips.)

Jim

new guy

I have a piece of black walnut and would like to make a stock for my FN49-8mm rifle. I am ready to start ruffing out the barrel channel !! I would appreciate any advise with this task. Thank you Bob Barton:)

I have a piece of black walnut and would like to make a stock for my FN49-8mm rifle. I am ready to start ruffing out the barrel channel !! I would appreciate any advise with this task. Thank you Bob Barton:)
Ah ha. My fn49 doesn't have a cross bolt for the receiver to rest on. It took me a while to figure out where the recoil bearing surface is. It is unconventional. You may want to look into that too.

-TL

Back