Which Fenix light to go with?

Mikef262

So for starters this will be used primarily for my police academy. The light will be carried on my gun belt. I plan to purchase a kydex retention holster rather than use the cheap nylon one provided. I have narrowed my choices down to three. All of which are Fenix. The UC35 I like because it is rechargeable, bright, and I have handled one. But the only draw back is that it is $89 everywhere.

The PD35 is the second up for $69. It is not rechargeable, but I could also get rechargeable batteries (haven't checked into prices on the rechargeable batteries). Basically it is the same specs, as far as I can tell anyway, as the UC35.

Then today while looking at the UC35 I seen the TK09. A little different design. A little smaller as well. It runs $59. Same deal with not being rechargeable.

I like the fact that the UC35 is micro USB rechargeable, so if I forget to charge it at night I have a 30 minute or more car ride to my academy that I can charge it. My android phone uses the micro USB so I have plenty of charging cables laying around. There are a few negatives to the UC35 for me though. One being it's size. While it will spend most of its time on my gun belt I would also like to use it for carry outside of the academy. I do not see it fitting in my pockets very well. Also, I haven't handled the holster I want for it, but from pictures it looks like it sticks out quite a bit. I will already have a large ASP and I feel that another item sticking out high would become annoying.

The price is another for the UC35. While I understand that $89 isn't all that bad I do have a lot of other things I need to get. But I also think that I would spend more than the $20-30 difference keeping batteries in the other lights that I can't recharge. I also have considered that this light will more than likely last through my academy and that I will be able to use it after getting hired.

We do not practice with weapon lights in my academy, even though the department I will work for issues a TLR2 with your Glock. So for building searches I will need one hand for my gun, and the other for my light. I am not sure if it will be ideal to handle both together with the UC35 being as large as it is.

I guess my overall goal here is to get a few things from you guys on the UC35. Any LEO's opinions would be valued as well. I want to know which light you guys would choose for this purpose and why? Also, do you think spending the extra $20-35 is worth adding the micro USB recharging ability? Do you think that the UC35 may become an annoyance on a gun belt?

I've got several of the Fenix lights that I carry around my neck and in a hunting bag when out night hunting for hogs. I like the pd35 a lot, but sometimes it is just a little too much glare when at close range. I don't remember the models offhand, but I think one other is the pd20? It takes 2 batteries and works great for a lot of what I do at night...but I have a model that only has one battery that has become my overall favorite. I carry it in my pocket all the time anymore and it gets used often for all sorts of things, from walking trails in the woods to looking down barrels of guns I'm working on.
They make some great products.

I have a number of Fenix E12 versions . Three light levels ,small with just 1 AA. Suit my needs well. For LEO use maybe take two. Someone gave me a light with the 123A battery but that battery will last just 1 hour of use then it's dead. That I wouldn't use because it doesn't give any warning when it goes .The AA does give a warning as it fades at the end.

Back