Which Custom 1911?

OK Computer

Which Custom 1911 would anyone here recommend? I've been looking at Para-Ord, Kimber, & Springfield. I've only had experience with Para-Ord. I dont know about quality with the other two. I'm kind of looking toward the Springfield Loaded 1911 Long Slide, the one built to handle .45 Super along with plain .45 ball. Any opinions???

FYI...

None of your choices are custom 1911 pistols. They're all factory standard, mass-produced pieces. Not that that's bad; I've never owned (or particularly wanted to spend the $$$ on) a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc.

Although I had a lemon of a Para-Ordinance, all 3 are pretty good choices. I have heard lots of good things about the SA, but I'd lean towards a basic Kimber Stainless. They are finished better than the Springfield Armory pistols (which have lots of sharp edges) and my Kimber Classic Stainless Target was an all-around SWEET tackdriver. IMHO, the basic Kimbers are a great bargain.

I'd go with either the Springfield or Kimber. Although this position will be unpopular, I consider the Springfield "loaded" edition to be a better choice than a Kimber. I have fired several guns from both Kimber and Springfield and so far the Springfields have given me better reliability. I don't have much experience with Para Ordnance, but I hear that there are QC problems in much of their line.

Which 1911

I have a Springfield Loaded V12, I'm pretty happy with it and thought it a good buy for the money. I'm can't say anything about the others, I have no experience with them.
I don't think you could go wrong with a Springfield ;)
Just my thoughts, Happy Shooting ;)

Of the three you list, if money is tight I would opt for the Springfield. Solid gun, much improved for 2001, lifetime warranty. If you have a bit more cash the Basic Kimber "Custom" (don't let the name fool you, its as production as can be) is a solid and reliable gun. Some will tell you that the MIM parts in a Kimber are junk, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over them. If you have a bit more to spend the Gunsite GSP (www.gunsite.com) is a great deal for $1000. It is hand fitted, dehorned, and has nite sites, plus a lifetime warranty on everything including its finish. If you have more $$ burning a hole in your pocket there are Wilson Combats, Rock Rivers, Les Baers and Ed Browns. All are ecxellent. Brown's and Wilson's are a bit slicker and smoother and stress reliability. Baers and Rock Rivers are more precise and stress accuracy. But all will shoot inside 2" at 25 yards easily. If you are really cooking in the markets this year and have upwards of $3000, then you have the dough for a full custom. Dane Burns, Larry Vickers, Richard Heine etc...are all waiting to build you a masterpiece. Order today and you will have it in 2004-2005! Regardless of what you buy, you should join us at http://www.1911forum.com and http://www.pistolsmith.com and learn much, much more about 1911s. Good Luck! Here are a few of my "kids" to help you to decide.
View

from top:Baer Concept V, Wilson Classic, Gunsite GSP2000

About the Paras...I don't have a lot of experience with them, but frankly don't see the appeal. There was a time when I too was caught up in the Hi-cap craze, but now I feel if you aren't going to out of trouble with 8+1 you are in bigger trouble than you can handle with a pistol. I have heard people swear by Paras and people swear at them. Mags are more expensive and they are kinda fat in the grip. Also, Para has been buying a lot of page space in the gun mags lately (ads that look like good reviews) and quite frankly it annoys me. I think the Para LDA is a waste of metal. If you want a hi-cap 1911 look at the Wilson KZ45, or put 10 rd. mag in a standard 1911, or better yet just carry a spare 8 rd. mag.

MPower: Thanks for the great pictures! Also for the web sites...but now I have two more "places to go" every day. Jeez, I'll never get that back acre fenced! I agree with your comments on Wilson, Brown, Baer, et. al. I've also had excellent work done by Bill Laughridge (Cylinder & Slide). Stay safe

Back