Which companies are owned by others

TrueBlue711

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to find out which firearm manufacturers are owned by another firearm manufacturer. For example, I know Marlin is owned by Remington. But I'm having a hard time finding a list of these. Anybody know a site that names them off or can just list them off yourself? Thanks!

Remington's parent company owns more than Marlin. Like the Beretta group, there are multiple names. Gun elated but not guns, ATK spun off all of the gun/hunting related companies into their own subgroup.
Bond Arms bought Boberg is another.
If the company is publicly traded, they will list their subsidiaries.

I don't know of any inclusive list, but I copied the following from Freedom Groups website. They own...

Remington®, Bushmaster® Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms™, Marlin®, H&R®, The Parker Gun™, Mountain Khakis®, Advanced Armament Corp. ®, Dakota Arms®, Para™ USA and Barnes® Bullets.

Decent-sized chunk of the manufacturing biz right there.

AFAIK there is no online master list, likely because it would get complicated and few people are really interested in this sort of info.
TrueBlue711 said:
For example, I know Marlin is owned by Remington.
Kinda. :) Remington, Marlin, DPMS/Panther Arms, Bushmaster, H&R, Dakota Arms, and Parker USA are all brand names of the Freedom Group. [EDIT: I see that someone beat me to it. :)]

http://www.freedom-group.com/

Fabrique Nationale (FN), Browning, and USRA are brand names of the Herstal Group, a Belgian conglomerate that evolved from Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FNH).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herstal_Group

If you check the link, you'll note the reference to Winchester. Its ownership is good deal more complicated. The original Winchester Repeating Arms Co. was purchased by the Olin Corporation—a chemical manufacturing conglomerate—many decades ago. Olin continues to manufacture and market Winchester ammunition, and still owns all Winchester trademarks and other intellectual property, but got out of the firearms business in 2006. Subsequent Winchester guns have been built under license by FN in Belgium and Miroku in Japan.

AFAIK Glock Ges.m.b.H. is privately held, mostly by the Glock family. I've lost track of who owns S&W; it's publicly traded, and I'm not sure if any single entity holds a controlling interest anymore.

FITASC said:
You left out Rohrbaugh...
True, but FG is no longer marketing pistols with the Rohrbaugh name on them, and seems to have no interest in doing so.

IMHO it's more accurate to say that FG absorbed Rohrbaugh.

Back