Which cap and ball revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten two from Cabella's made by Pietta of Italy and the quality has been very high for the price. We've got guys at our Blackpowder club with Uberti's too, and while they are good quality indeed, I can't see what makes them worth much more than my Pietta's. Both mine are .36 Cal, one an 1858 Remington copy and one an 1863 Colt Police model. I really enjoy them a lot. The remington is the best of the two. Don't go for a brass frame, as they stretch after a while.

------------------
TJS

i have a ruger old army ss its a very hefty gun built to last and accrute. very nice pice. good craftmanship.

Thanks for the replies. All of the Italian repros look so much alike. It makes me wonder if they're all made by the same outfit and just marketed differently.
The Ruger old army is real nice, but lots of $$$. There's just something about those open frame Colts....

italin once are nice but i get one that is all steal, some of the frames are brass,not saying that they are weak i just like an all steal gun.

If you want to shoot much, forget the Colt clones, they shoot loose after a couple hundred shots due to the open frame. You can repair them in various ways but they will never be much good for durability, IMHO. I owned a Uberti 1860 Army clone. The nicest looking pistol I ever owned, but the weakness was there.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate, but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle.
Wyatt Earp

You might try taylors firearms. I'm not sure which of the Italian makes they import, perhaps Armi san Marcos. The Remington 1858 is a pretty good choice.

www.taylorsfirearms.com/cbr.html

The Fratelli Pieta guns that I shoot (as often as I'm inclined to - which means more washing and oiling than actually loading and firing :) ) have been giving pretty good service. I've also got the SAA repro from Uberti - good, but not your question. More recently I've added a Fratelli Pieta LeMat monster to the collection... haven't yet given it a workout (has a cylinder for 9 .44 and one grat big .60 central smoothbore barrel that will do nicely to cebrate the millienium new year :) ) - Lots of luck. If you are after a lot of shooting and duarability, go for the closed frame Remington methinks - in its day it was also known as the best to use as a club after all the chambers were emptied.

Hasta pronto

Peter Knight (aka 'El Chimango Pete')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back