Which Camo Pattern?

Guyon

I'm new to hunting and am about to purchase some insulated overalls (the Wall's Magnum Overalls). They are pretty expensive by my standards, so I want to get the camo pattern right the first time. These overalls come in either Advantage Timber or Realtree Hardwoods 20-200.

Which pattern, in your estimation, would work best for tree stand hunting in the Tennessee/Alabama region?

Not sure of the rules where your hunting, but it seems to me that camo is pretty irrelevant if your wearing blaze orange.

I have to admit that I don't have any camo stuff - deer don't see colors. If I was turkey or predator hunting, different story. But mainly I hunt deer.

May want to look at getting a heavier set of coveralls - I suspect the camo adds a few dollars.

BTW, loose boots (to increase circulation) and a watch cap for a hat really boost body heat retention....

Giz

Which one is more appealing to your eyes? That's the one I would pick. Either is fine. IMHO, camo doesn't need to be a perfect match to your environment. Camo isn't supposed to make you invisible, it just helps to break up your outline. For that matter, a large plaid pattern may serve the same purpose. The best way to not be seen is to sit still. I deer and turkey hunt in Georgia and my camo is a mix of brands and patterns. Deer hunters in GA have to wear at least 500 square inches of solid orange above the waist and we still manage to kill our share of deer. So just get what you like, make sure it fits comfortably and worry about becoming a more skilled hunter -- that's what will put game in the bag!

Good luck out there and let us know how the hunting goes.

Jack

Birds can identify colors. Deer and coyotes, etc., cannot. The main thing for deer hunting is cloth which does not shine. I've done just as well with Levis as with khakis or some old OD fatigue pants. Never have owned any camo.

Turkeys operate on what is called "pattern recognition". If that "stump" wasn't there yesterday, "It's bad and it's time to leave and I'm gone!"

I've read that doves shun blue. Dunno why. I've done better at shooting at a stock tank with khakis, than with Levis, so I guess it's so.

The main thing for deer is to be drab, comfy and still. Deer are superb at detecting motion.

FWIW, Art

Back