Which caliber & how many rounds when hiking

Onward Allusion

For hiking the parks in Montana. Slightly off the beaten path.

#1. 44 Mag X 6

#2. 357 Mag X 8

#3. 357 Sig X 16

Obviously carrying bear spray...

I feel like it also depends on the gun you will be carrying and where it will be carried in each case. If you will have any of these guns on your person say the 357 mag is carried on you, but the 44 is in your back pack. I would say it's better off to keep the 357 close then digging for a bigger 44.

Carrying OWB/on-hip under shirt . . . Probably more concerned with 2 legged predators but one never knows. What got my eyes wide was that story from last week about the guy who got his head chomped while mountain biking near Glacier.

"Obviously carrying bear spray..."

That must be to season the Bear with after you shot him ???

I have more confidence in copper jacketed lead as a deterrent myself. I bear country I usually carry my Winchester 1894 for bears and my 45 acp for other threats.

Which one

-do you shoot most accurately, for a first shot?

-draws fastest out of its holster, and comes to target quickest?

-what is your preference? Power or capacity?

P71piolt sums it up pretty well. Whatever you bring out there you should be comfortable with it. If you bring the 44 out for stopping power but can't land a shot, it won't make a difference.
When I was hiking through many of states during my travels I only had a jframe revolver with .38 special +p ammo. Never had to use it and I don't know how well it would have done, but it did make me feel more comfortable having something.

Everything P71Pilot said.

Also, you might have to shoot the gun one-handed. Maybe your support hand is injured. Maybe it's fine, but it's busy doing something when the bear or whatever comes calling. So, can you unload the gun quickly and accurately one-handed? With full power/bear load .44 mags this is pretty tough to do.

I think almost anyone can learn how, it just takes good mechanics and a lot of practice.

All of that said, you're probably still better off using the bear spray before going for your gun.

Carry what you can shoot.

Just because it's "bigger and badder" doesn't make something the better option if you have difficulty shooting it (or aren't very familiar with the firearm).

In (black) bear country, I carry a 9mm or .327 Federal (I have several options). They're for two-legged predators and/or Moose, more than bears.
If I'm also hunting big game, it'll be .327 Federal at a minimum*, probably .44 Mag (though .480 Ruger is on the plate now, too :D).
*(Depending upon the state and/or hunting unit, .327 Federal may be the legal minimum required; or I may legally have to step up to something bigger.)

If I'm in Wolf country, I sometimes lean toward high capacity over "power". They are pack animals, after all, and seem to run in groups of 6-12 around here. As such, the 9mm might actually get the nod over even .44 Mag.

Add Grizzlies and I'm back to big, heavy bullets. There is no factual reference or citation I can provide to back it up. But my brain says 6 rounds of heavy, wide-meplat .44 Mag (or .480 Ruger) is better than 15 rounds of 9mm.

But, out of all of my options, I never take something that I'm not confident in operating.
If I have any hesitation about the handgun, then it can't be my lifeline. It stays in the safe, while I grab something else for guard duty (my .44 Mag Super Blackhawk, even if 'only' single-action, is "old reliable" and always trusted in that regard).

I've been charged by bears 3 times. (All black bears.)
I was unarmed for three of them. :rolleyes:
For another likely charge, I became the aggressor and threw a big muddy tree branch at the sow and her cub (my fault for walking into it, but I had to get out of that situation - she seemed within arm's reach and it took everything I had to shift my eyes to that branch to pick it up). We went our own ways. ...As fast as each of us could run.

If Yogi is mad at you and close enough for bear spray to work, it's too late. You might get lucky though. Either a .357 Mag or SIG will just annoy him if he's of the Griz flavour. Might be loud enough to scare him though.
You will never be fast enough to recognise a threat, draw and accurately fire a .44 from under your shirt. (Said .44 weighing roughly 41 to 48 ounces. Smith 629 with assorted barrel lengths from 4 to 6.) Less so if Yogi is PO'd and coming from under 100 yards. He or she can cover 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
"...I became the aggressor..." Absolutely the best reaction. Especially against Cindy and her kids. Scare 'em.(Loud whistle, etc) She thinks you're nuts and runs with the young un's hot on her tail. And doesn't see you running the other way.
"...threw a big muddy tree branch..." Tell us it was oak. snicker.

"...I became the aggressor..." Absolutely the best reaction. Especially against Cindy and her kids. Scare 'em.(Loud whistle, etc) She thinks you're nuts and runs with the young un's hot on her tail. And doesn't see you running the other way.
She ran so fast, she left the cub behind. That poor cub didn't know what was going on, and sat there confused for a little while.
"...threw a big muddy tree branch..." Tell us it was oak. snicker.
It was wood. ;)

I don't see any benefit of having one gun in your pack while wearing the lighter one. Unless you just need to add weight to your pack. But rocks would work better because you could just throw them out when you get tired of the useless weight. I backpack with a 45 Colt Vaquero loaded with 6 warm ones, and some spare ammo, but not a lot, because it's heavy when every ounce adds up. Besides, the plan is to not even use it, except for an emergency that isn't supposed to happen. But when I get in to that wilderness lake, the fishing rod will definitely get some action. Roostertails: Don't leave home without 'em!;)

Last edited:
It has been asked, against what threat are you arming?

If for bear, a cow bell and bear spray should be fine. A bear usually won't confront a human unless surprised, scared or with a cub. So warn them off with a cow bell or some simila noise,aker on your pack.

Bipedal predators...anything will do if you can get to it.

10MM X 15+1

This would be my choice. The 357 or 44 loaded properly are just fine too, but are heavier and cumbersome for hiking. My G20 or G29 loaded with 200 gr hardcast @ 1300 fps will beat anything you can get from a 357mag and a 4" barrel. Comes a lot closer to 44 mag when fired from a 4" barrel than most realize.

There are some 147 gr hardcast options for the 357 SIG and 9mm. They might be better than expected. I just haven't read enough about them to recommend them yet.

Montana is a big state...so where you go matters...NW / SW ...etc... --- when you say "Parks" plural, I don't know which you mean...

If you are in Flathead county ..(near Glacier Park ) -- where the mountain biker was attacked ( they have not determied if it was a black bear or a grizzly yet by the way in that incident ), .... a .44 mag is ok ( if you can fire at least 3 shots double action quickly - and accurately ) ....but some areas in that county are real brushy, alders, etc especially around water - and some are more wide open --- so an encounter could be "real close" or 30 yds.../ and any handgun on a Grizzly ...is not your best option. I hunted big game in that area for many years....and rarely did I encounter an aggressive bear. Bear Spray, Bells on your pack, etc ...are all good options ( even with a handgun ) when hiking .

A lot of the trails that biker was on, around Half Moon Lake, are real brushy...hard to see in some spots more than a few feet where alders are 7 or 8 Ft high...in the bottoms, etc.../ and unless its burned lately, and I don't remember if it has or not, its probably brushier than I remember...

In general, for a woods gun - I tend to favor a .357 Mag... because I'm much quicker on follow up shots with it over the .44 Mag.../ and I shoot the .44 Mag a lot in 3", 4", 6" and 8 3/8" S&W revolvers.../ ...( but in either caliber, I'd go with at least a 4" or maybe a 6" barrel. I have a pair of S&W model 627's ( stainless, 8 shots, .357 mag - a 2 5/8" and a 5" ...and I'd carry the 5" probably / over a model 686 ( 6 shot in a 6" or 4" ). If I was going to carry a .44 Mag -- I'd carry a model 629 in a 6" ( 6 shot ).

A heavy caliber in a single action revolver is not a bad idea either ...something like the Freedom Arms, large frame, 5 shot ...in at least .44 Mag or even .475 Linebaugh or .454 Casull ( if you're really in Grizzly country )...would be better...and I'd opt for the .475 Linebaugh personally ( 4 3/4" , 6" or maybe even a 7 1/2" )...for a heavy caliber. The 5 shot Freedom Arms would be my first choice..in whatever caliber you like.

Chances are remote ...you'll have any issues -- especially on well traveled trails outside Glacier Park.../ bears outside the park are not as used to people as they are in the Park in my experience. Inside Glacier Park ..you need to be careful ...and talk to local rangers before you head out on any bear sightings in the last day or so...( they keep close track on what is happening on all the trails in the Park ).

Check the laws ...for carry ...so you don't get in trouble up there.

Last edited:
It would be inside Glacier next month. Alaska next spring. Trying to knock a few off the list.

Made the decision to carry 357 Sig. Wife will be carrying the same. We both are better with 9mm /40 S&W /357 Sig than 357 or 44 mag. Might be better off to stick with the busier trails...

Thanks all for the input.

It's my opinion, that carrying a gun inside Glacier Park is a poor idea - while it's legal - you may find it a significant hassle.

You can check the laws - visitors brochure gives you guidelines - and a link to applicable requirements. There are some issues if you go into a park building - visitor center, lodges, etc.../ .... and if you wound or kill a bear or mountain lion, inside the park, there might be significant consequences......not that you won't have some issues in national Forrest areas as well..../ ... but I would recommend you consider your options very carefully.

None of the calibers you suggest that you shoot well....are good defensive weapons for a cat or large bear in my view....

Give Bear Spray a serious consideration ....and some good bells on your pack....

The attack last week was unfortunate ....but rare.../ being trail smart, aware of surroundings, etc are probably your keys for a great trip / weather in Glacier is significant -I've seen snow in July when thunderstorms blew thru on Logan Pass and Going to Sun highway ..... / so be prepared and smart on boots and clothing...and on water ( Giardia is in some of creeks...horses, etc in backcountry ).../ ... great trail and guide books around...

Best hike in the park is highline trail from visitor center on Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet....binoculars are mandatory ! Walk some of it -- or in and out in same day is my preference. There are some easy / short walks too. But enjoy it / I grew up in that valley -- it's a special place ! ( I don't carry a gun in the park )...I do carry hiking, camping, fishing in national forrests outside park or in Bob Marshall wilderness area ....

Whatever you decide --- have a great, and safe, trip !

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia and often hike (well, walk down rural roads). The people here are peaceful and friendly, so not really my concern, but I carry for protection from animals. My SCCY 9mm is light and comfortable and holds 10+1 of JHP.

Twice I have had black bears cross the road within 50 yards in front of me, but they are timid and more scared of me than I of them. My little 9mm is not very effective against bears, but the noise may scare them away, and if not multiple hits are better than a sharp stick.

My main concern is vicious dogs or rabid animals. Twice I have been confronted by growling pit bulls that were fortunately restrained by their owners, but many people let their dogs run wild in the country. A friend was once chased into a river along one of my walking paths by a several dogs. There are also a lot of coyotes and raccoons here. I don't expect to ever have to shoot, but I definitely feel safer walking armed than not.

Tom

I carry my Makarov PM. 8+1 of 9x18mm.

I feel it is just fine for the areas I frequent, especially since the main predators are human beings.

i day hike low mountains in n.e. we have black bears and moose, though i have encountered none. im more worried about feral dogs and homeys who come up to partay on weekends. i carry a bond arms 410/45lc or a 38 snubbie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back