Which Bullet For 270 Wby Mag?

Chipster

Ammo ranges from $36 to $51 per box. Seems like bullet type is driving the cost difference.

100 PT-EX __ $36.00
130 PT-EX _ $36.00
130 Partition _ $51.00
140 BST _ $41.00
140 Barnes-X _ $51.00
150 PT-EX _ $36.00
150 Partition _ $51.00

Which would you choose for deer and similar game?

I agree with Zorro. .270 WM is a fast motorscooter. Barnes X bullets love velocity.

BTW, at those prices, you could get started reloading with a good set-up for the price of two/three boxes of ammo.

Reloading vs. Purchase

Thanks for info on bullet type. I concur that reloading might be the answer. I was thinking that I would purchase two or three boxes to get started with this rifle, and then find some used (cheap) yet high quality reloading equipment. I was hoping to learn what powder the factory ammo used, and then attempt to duplicate the factory loading.

Other than the dies, I recommend browsing gunshows for good used reloading gear.

Check the loading data books; some do list loads for the Wbys.

Art

Chipster, factory powder is cannister. They formulate it by the truck load to match pressure/velocity standards. Evn if you pulled the bullets and weighed the charges, there is no way to determine what blend of powders they used. FWIW, you can now duplicate Weatherby factory ammo performance with the newer powders. Johnny Guest and crew in the reloading forum can give you specifics.

Back