Which Browning HP model/where to buy?

2cats

I believe the next pistol on my list is a Browning High Power. I'm just target shooting now, though some day I think I would love to get into competative defensive shooting. I will probably never carry. If one of the new models on the Browning web page satisfies me, that's great. But I'm also very open to having the gun smithed, because I'm concerned about how I'll like the trigger. And once it goes out to a smith, I could easily go whole hog.

Looking at the web page, I like the traditional look of the Standard versus the models with the contoured grips, and I think I also prefer blueing to any of the other finishes.

1) One question arises from the fact that none of the dealers around here have more than one HP, so I can't inspect and compare. Anyone know of well stocked dealers within a day's round trip from Albany, NY?

2) Since I'm left handed I want an ambi safety. It looks like all the models come so equipped. Is this true?

3) The Novak web page indicates that his work is on HP's through the MK II model. Are all new models considered MK III's, or just the one named MK III? Does this mean that Novak would not work on a new HP Standard?

4) Along the lines of #3, but in general: are there any distinguishing features among the new models that would hamstring a good gunsmith? Anything that I should avoid in a new model? Are any of the new models better than the others?

5) If the gun is going to a smith, does it make ANY difference which model I get (since grips and sights could be changed, and the gun refinished?

Anything else for me to know or think about? Many, many thanks!

------------------
2cats

Glock 19
Colt Police Positive .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Model 41

New Hi-Powers, especially the 9mm, are getting hard to locate. Browning will not be importing any more HP's. I believe all new models have ambi safeties. I'm sure Novak can do the same work on the Standard model as well as the MK III, Practical...
The slide cut for the tangent sights on the Capitan model might be a problem if you change sights.
If you have any metal work done, such as stippling, the chromed models will have to have their finish stripped and most smiths charge extra for this + the add'l costs of having it re-chromed vs blueing.

I just recently had a MK III customized by Kurt Wickmann http://www.kwgw.com and would recommend him highly. I posted my review here, do a search for it.
Also, about a month ago I found a dealer with several NIB HP's and I bought a Standard model - very nice!

bk40,

Thanks for the info; congrats on the pistols. Is the dealer you mentioned well stocked in other NIB models? Would you want to share the name and location?

Thanks!

------------------
2cats

Glock 19
Smith & Wesson Model 41

2cats,

B&T on Central Ave usually has a few HP's in stock. If not new, then in the used counter down at the end of the room. The guys there are really helpful too, they love their business. Not like those miserable, old fart, know-it-all's at the Pistol Parlor. Plus the Albany gun show is coming up Jan 29 + 30. Should be at least a few there.

If you are going to have Novak do some work on it, go for the standard Mark III with the plastic grips. It can be then made out in any configuration/finish you prefer. As noted, Browning is planning to stop importing the Hi-Power, so get yours while you can. I would not be surprised though if this unavailability is temporary, but you never know.

BTW, Cylinder and Slide in Fremont, NE also works on Hi-Powers and does good stuff with them.

While I prefer the 1911, there is a lot to be said for the Hi-Power. Good luck and have fun.

BW:

B&T has a Standard and a Practical. The guys at the Pistol Parlor got much nicer after I yakked up bucks for my S&W 41 (actually, to be fair, their price was very good). But they told me they just called their distributor to get a HP, and the distributor was out, in keeping with this rumor that Browning has cut off the supply.

Sounds like we're neighbors. Do you know any local place that

1) Has indoor pistol
2) Allows different distances, at least one distance shorter than 50 ft
3) Allows jacketed centerfire cartridges?

Thanks!

Trevor:

Is your suggestion of the MK III based soley on the fact that it is the cheapest model, or is there more logic to it than that?

Thanks!

------------------
2cats

Glock 19
Smith & Wesson Model 41

2cats-
I just bought a Browning HP standard with adjustable sights ($559) and am very happy with it. The finish is that classic deep, mirror-polished old-world blue and it looks fantastic. It has also proven to be very durable- much more so, in fact, the matte blue finish on my Kimber Classic (which is rubbing off with just routine handling). Anyway, the adjustable sights on my HP are proving to be invaluable. Point of impact changes are common with the variety of ammo and bullet weights out there. The sights sit up high, though, which may be a detriment to fast holster presentations. It's a very nice piece all around. I don't believe that it's as mechanically accurate as my SIG P210, but I can shoot it just as well. No hammer bite so far, either. Whichever model you decide on, the HP is a winner!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

2cats,

I used to live in the area, but moved several years ago. I still go home several times a year. You can bet that I'll be at the Albany show. As for shooting clubs, I'm afraid I'm stumped. Depending on where you are, I know there's a Troy R&G club because they push their Hi Power rifle matches, and there's a similar club in Colonie. What ever you do, don't buy up all the HP's in Albany, I'm looking for another. Also, if you are going to have any work done on your gun Kurt Wickmann is the way to go, he used to do HP's for Novaks before he went out on his own.

Guys,

Where can I locate this Kurt Wickmann guy?? I just bought used HP and may want to have some work done on it.

Mine sounds like an identical twin to the one "vanfunk" describes. Deep blue finish and walnut grips at 99% (only very tiny rust pits on the front strap from "poison hands"), new looking bore, and a factory 13 rd mag that looks new. Sights are Millet white bar. Trigger is pretty good, crisp with little overtravel. The "unofficial HP site" says that mine is from 1991 production. Belgian made, assembled in Portugal.

I won't say how much I paid for it.... "vanfunk" might be upset. ;-)

Can't wait to get to the range with it, but may be a week or two.....

Swampy

Yes, because it is the cheapest. Once you turn the base model over to a good smith, he will remove the vital parts and replace them with better ones. The finish you choose will replace the one the factory used. (The factory enamel finish on mine was peeling after one session at the range.) I see no point in spending more on the base pistol if you plan to improve it in the aftermarket. However, if this move is not the case, then the HP Practical is probably a better choice for someone who is going to keep it box stock.

As you are finding out, the supply of HPs is drying up. A store here in Reno, NV called Mark, Fore and Strike has several still in stock. They may be able to ship to your dealer. Be warned though, MF&S has high prices. At this stage of the game, I guess it is about how much you really want one.

In another thread, someone discusses the Italian-made Witness pistols in 9mm as being a best buy. This choice may be a good alternative to the HP for someone who doesn't want to get drawn up into the "last of the Hi-Powers" shopping spree.

I don't have Mr. Wickman's address but I have seen his advertisements in the classifieds of some of the gun magazines. He did the work on my Hi-Power back when he was still with Novak. The work is top notch.

Back