Which brand 1911 ?

BigDinOC

I am sure this question has been already asked in some way, shape or form in the past. So forgive me if this is the case. I am looking for a 1911 (preferably Made in America) for beginning Bullseye shooting and possibly some IDPA down the road? Which brand is most accurate out of the box and has good customer service. I want something that would be worth upgrading components as my skill level hopefully increases or accurizing at a later date. NIB price range $900-$1500.

Thanks in advance all.

1. Old school Colt 70 series and have it worked on by a reputable smith.
2. Springfield TRP

Either one, you won't be disappointed. There's been some traffic lately on a TRP or two that's been well under your budget...

Try to find a Dan Wesson Valor. Adjustable tritium night sights and possibly the very best production 1911 in the world today. They make 200 a year, so look hard.

Good Luck,

RMD

For IDPA and IPSC just about any 1911 will work. But, you threw in the Bulleye. If you want good groups at 50 yards, your going to have to have some smithing done. The Springfield is a 70 series, and would probably be the least expensive way to go. It would be good out of the box for IPSC and IDPA, but would need some tighting for Bulleye.

For BE I'd look for a used match 1911. These are typically a less expensive than a new pistol + the necessary accurizing, and it's easy to find one that's American made.

Check-out the Bullseye-L email list. You'll see sales of second hand pistol pretty frequently - or you could post an inquiry describing what it is you're looking for.

One pistol for both disciplines might be OK to get started. But I think you will find that each discipline has different demands for a competitive 1911, some of which contradict each other. If you get serious about both, you'll probably want two differently tuned guns.

I stated in Bullseye about 1 year ago the gun I got started with and currently use is a Springfield model PI9132LP Loaded Target model. This gun is sweet! I picked mine up used for $750. They are available new on Guns America for less than $1000. With the Matchdot and trigger work I have less than $1000 in mine. I shoot expert scores both indoor and outdoor.

Good luck and welcome to the sport!

Back