Which Asp length?

ThePatriot29

I’m looking to get an ASP collapsible baton. I will be carrying it, concealed in a pocket or on a belt under a jacket. What length is best? I thought that the 21” baton would be a good compromise between length and compactness. What do you think?

Yes, that is what I chose for my wife to carry while walking the baby and for me when I travel out of state. Cut some newspaper to the different ASP lengths, roll it up, tape it, and try swinging it at a friend simulating an attacker. You'll get a good idea of what is too little and what is just right.

I think 21" is a good compromise for carry.I went with 21" also and felt comfortable with it.It ended up becoming a burden to carry along with my CCW so I switched to Fox spray.

I bought the 16" one because it was on sale for $29. In retrospect I would have gone with the 21" version as the little extra length might come in handy. 16" is very useful too, but I wouldn't really go bigger than 21".

I'm partial to a 21-inch Airweight, particularly the DuraTec model. The DuraTec has the same rubber grip that's called a Fed-Grip when it's on a steel handled baton. Don't ask me why ASP feels the need to obsfuscate it's product catalogue like that, but they do!!

Gomez

I carried a 21" for ages and felt fine. It was a good size and certainly sufficient. That said, I carry a 31". I know, it may seem a little silly to carry that, but 1. it was a gift and 2. I hardly notice the extra weight. It conceals just as easily for me and when I think about it, the extra 10" reach advantage is comforting. Not that I'm recommending the 31" over the 21", but I think it's a viable option.
S

old_yout:

More power to you! Actually, I've got one of the 31-inch monsters, but it handles like a fishing pole. When they first came out, I was training in Pekiti Tersia using 33-inch rattan sticks, so I figured "an ASP that was the same (almost) length as my sticks, cool". But I just could not adjust to the balance and feel of the 31-inch ASP. The 26 is nice, if a little large and weighty, for everyday concealed carry. The 16's not bad, but I consider it more of a dull knife than a stick (reach of a large fixed blade knife with no edge). The 21, particularly the Airweight, just gives me a "warm and fuzzy" that I don't get from the others. It's long enough to reach out and it's light enough that I always have it tucked in my waistband.

Gomez

I would opt for the 21" ASP, preferably an Airweight.

The 16" is useful but it lacks the comforting feel of a weapon with more distance to it and the handling characteristics aren't truly stick-like.

I carry a 16" Airweight at the office (appendix carry with my shirt bloused over it--discreetly at hand, if needed) but I prefer the extra distance and characteristics of the 21" Airweight.

I carried a 16" Steel ASP for a long time and I find that the Airweights are worth the weight savings.

Back