Which AR?

Halffast

I am getting ready to buy an AR. As good pre-ban rifles are getting very expensive, I have decided to buy a new post-ban weapon. I have narrowed my choice down to the Bushmaster or the Armalite. Does anyone have experiance with both of these? What are the pros and cons? Is there something else that I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

consider the chromelined bore as a battle rifle standard. Range oriented rifles have different requirements.

dZ

Both are great. The main difference is finish quality (sometimes) and availability. The Armalites generally have a better finish, but the BMs are more readily available. Some BM's have a purplish finish (bad anodize), but if you are unsatisfied with your rifle for cosmetic or any other reasons, Bushmaster will fix or replace it. Armalite is also very good in the customer service department.

Bushmasters are more readily available, and if you have to order one, you can get a BM within 6 wks or so, but an Armalite will take at least four months, so I've heard.

If you can get either without waiting, get the one that you like better. If not, get the BM. You'll be happy with either one.

I have a BM Shorty AK that I bought in the middle of the AR rush of last year with none of the problems some BM's have. It has a perfect jet-black finish and windage is only 2 clicks left of zero.

I have a Bushmaster, and I love it. Keep in mind I do not have any experience with Armalite. My gun is a dissipator, 16 inch barrel, with full length handguards and sight radius. Accuracy has been excellent. Reliability has been great. Only a few malfunctions traced back to a magazine with a bent lip. It is my favorite gun that I own.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to the gun store today and check on delivery times.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

For any serious discussion of the AR-15, check out the boards, including the Bushmaster and Armalite boards, over at AR15.com.

BTW: Either one will do the trick. Go to AR15.com to find out the ones to NOT buy.

Albin

I think that both manufactures are
reputable.

I own a Colt MT6530 (16" Carbine)
that I purchased about 8 months ago. $850 including tax, NIB from a
Dealer.

Why a Colt? IMO resale value will
be higher. I also wanted the faster 1:7 twist.

Though Post-ban Colt's are not
_so-called_ Mil. Spec., that doesn't concern me. I am using this mostly
for target shooting and plinking.
And certainly for Home/personal
defense.

If I ever need a _Real_ battle
rifle, my knife or .25 ACP will get
me an M60.

And BTW, I've read posts about bad
Winchester Q3131 and I've fired
these exclusively without a hitch.
Also functioned flawlessly with
delinked SS109.

No matter what you choose, you will
be hooked. :D :D :D

Good Shooting!!

Sgt.K

Depends what kind of shooting you're going to do. Just GP? Both are good, I'd give the edge to Armalite. Want a target grade, try Compass Lake, or JP.

Back