Which AR Rifle for $700?

RetiredMajor

I have $700 to spend on a rifle and may go the AR route, in .223. So...what brand and model is the best value for that amount of money? There are so many different manufacturers out there. Please don't say add $300 more and get so and so model. $700 is the limit.

Thanks for your advice.
Major

+1 on the CMMG. Don't believe the stuff it says about 'scratched, bent, banged, abused' or whatever. I have seen three of these, make that 4 of them- and they have been well worth the money. The cosmetic 'problems' they have are so small that you'd have to scrutinize it extrememly closely to locate any flaw. In fact, it might just be that they were fired and cannot be sold as 'new'.

Thanks for the responses so far. Just so you know, whatever I buy, I'll buy from Cabela's because I have over $300 in Cabela's Gift cards to use. So, I'm looking for manufacturer and brand info. There are so many including DPMS, Stag, Bushmaster, Colt etc. I realize not all sell for $700 or less, but am interested in opinions on those that do.

Major

I have a DPMS and love it. You also have options like the "lite", "sportical", and models like that with DPMS that are much more affordable. The sportical is an AR without a forward assist and a few other details. I would go with a DPMS lite. I think you would be happy with it.

$700 is really pushing the edge when it comes to ARs but I didn't pay much more than that for my DPMS carbine. The nice thing is you can upgrade it as time passes along and get some more $$.

Our local Sportsman's Warehouse had DPMS Sporticals (low end non-milspec ARs) on sale for $550 this morning! All sold out by about 10AM. :)

Regards,
Oly

I got an email from bud's.

All Our Gun Prices Include Shipping.

NEW S&W AR, Model 811013, price REDUCED from $929 to only $799 Delivered!

NEW S&W AR, Model 811001, price REDUCED from $1216 to only $1149 Delivered!

NEW S&W AR, Model 811000, price REDUCED from $951 to only $849 Delivered!

OK Sir, I see where you're at on this.
Honestly, I've seen only two AR's that I would stay clean away from. They were: Olympic Arms Plinker and Century Arms. That industry has been under some tryng times in the past 10 years, and just about anybody who made garbage was either forced to clean up or to go out of business. That's not fact, just my suspition from closely watching the market. I have an Olympic Arms lower with a parts build upper, a Rock River Arms, a Bushmaster, and a DPMS. And, I can't say that I have any more faith in any particular one over any other one. They are slightly all different variations but none of them have given me a moment's bit of trouble. On the market- I don't see any current production AR's that I would turn down except the Century line. I don't know what kind of shooting you do- but unless you carry one for work purposes or match shoot- I don't see an average to higher volume shooter wearing any of them out.

The only thing I might add is that you might look for a flat top if you anticipate any decrease in your eyesight. As eyesight goes towards bifocals- the peep sights get less forgiving for some. If you have a flat top AR- then you can more securely mount a scope or electronic sighting device.

Does Cabelas have any AR that sells for $700? Might be best to use the gift certificates for ammo and other stuff. And get the AR elsewhere or build yourself.

Good point, unless there are some listed at a place other than where I looked- the least expensive ones they have on line are $1199.

That's more like what I was thinking, 10-96. I saw an M&P-15 in our Cabelas store last week for $1099 and you could find it elsewhere in town for $999 which still is high compared to online prices.

Really it's pretty hard to get a $700 AR off the rack that doesn't have compromises. I'd aim a little higher, maybe $900 at some other place that has good prices. Maybe $800 if you build it yourself and go for good deals on every component. A couple months ago I built up a S&W M&P-15 lower then added an ArmaLite complete midlength upper plus carry handle, sling and one magazine for a little over $800 and it probably can be done a little cheaper now. I couldn't buy an AR like that off the rack here for less than $1100.

I don't know where you live, but if you check the classifieds you might find a bargain. I know I have looked regularily, and I consistently see NIB AR advertised within 100 mile radius. Unfortunately, the economy will drive these sellers to the market to get some quick cash. The prices have sure leveled off or even dropped in the last few months. I wouldn't be in a hurry...

I'd say build your own and put the others to shame. Might seem like you'd be jumping cannonball into the pool if you haven't fooled around with them before, but assembling an AR from scratch is a breeze... even easier if you have the right tools.

Or you could buy the CMMG ;)

Back