Which AR Hicap mags?

stanmanplan

Nothing beats experience and in that I have only 2 weeks of AR experience, please help me save some money. Even with problems I'm having this gun is a hoot. I have several of the Ramline 30 round AR/Mini 14 mags, and I'm not particularly impressed. First, I can't load all thirty rounds and get the first several bullets to load properly. If I load 20 in, I have no problem. Up until that point, either the bullet catches while being shot forward, or I have a stove pipe happen. These magazines don't fall freely when the release is hit, you kind of have to tug on them. I'm wondering if my problems are a tradeoff for being able to use them in a Mini 14. Also I've only shot one type of ammo (Russion made), and I'm wondering if this could be an issue. Incidently, I bought a Colt Match Target Carbine. What are your recomendations for 30 rd magazines. Thanks in advance.
Stan

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
Adolph Hitler, 1935

stanplanman, first check out this link:
http://www.ar15.com/products/magazines/information.asp

I'm not an expert, but I've checked some of this and it seems right on. However, you'll probably notice, the prices are dated - inflation, ya know.

Bushmaster told me Colt mil-spec mag's are the best, but you'll note they are tough to find. For flexibility, especially for prone, get some 20 rounders as well. Buy Shotgun News - http://www.shotgunnews.com/ . Lots of ads, and still some 30 round AR mil spec mag's available.

AR15.Com also has a discussion forum, so you can lurk or query over there for the most current info.

Good luck.

I pretty much stick with used GI mags. They look like hell, but out of 13, only one has any problems and that problem is not dropping freely from the mag well (it feeds and locks reliably) I've bought replacement mag springs and the newer followers for when they finally wear out.

I havn't used any of the Israeli Orlites, but most Israeli stuff is pretty good, so I would expect them to work well.

I've stayed away from steel and 40-rnd mags.

Used GI mags are the ticket.
If you want new, Orlites are very good, stay away from the 40 rounders or other crap like that. There is a dual drum mag, holds 100 rounds. Cost is high - I fired one... it worked Ok - but was clumsy. Puts a lot of strain on the mag release bar. I would avoid those.

Orlies or GI 20s-30s...

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

USGI are the most reliable and cheapest. The finish wears easily and even new ones don't look pretty long, but the function the best.

Orlites are good too. They don't fit into Bushmaster lowers well enough to lock without trimming the fence on the mag that is designed to keep sand and grit out of the mag well. This has to do with the bevel on the Bushmaster mag wells. They work fine in Colt,Olympic, Armalite and an old Essential Arms lower I've got laying around too.

Canadian Thermolds also work. I've got no experience with the expandable ones but the military ones have given me good service. The Canadian Army is now going to aluminum magazines like the US. Supposedly because they were melting thermolds on full auto fire. I don't know if this is true or not. The ones I have work fine (but I don't shoot full auto).

The Beta C-Mag (100 round dual drum) works, but verifiable pre-bans will run $450 - $550 a lot of money for a magazine.

Stay away from USA steel mags and I've also heard bad things about the Triple K aluminum mags.

HTH Jeff

Back