Which AK?

jetrecbn1

Which one would you guys recomend considering price? I don't know which are milled or stamped? Would like to know what calibers you guys prefer? There is a great number to choose from like the Makarov's. I need your help fellow TFLers.

First, you'd probably want to check out: www.ak47.net

Quite a few countries made both milled and stamped at points in time. Some offer both to the consumer.

I'd rate them, highest to lowest:

Russian (Saiga, VEPR)
Hungarian
Chinese, Romanian
Egyptian
Hesse

I'd recommend the Romanian SAR-1. I bought two and am happy with them. They aren't finely made and finished rifles. But they work and are fun to shoot. AIM Surplus currently has them for about $300 each ($10 less if you buy several). Others probably sell for comparable prices. What I like about the SAR-1 is that it has a pre-ban "look and feel" (pistol grip stock, high-cap magazines, etc.). Be warned, however, that some have been known to have crooked front sight posts and most have mis-matched wood.

If you want to pay more, I think there are some nicer AKs around. The Bulgarian SSR99s sounded great, but I don't think they were available for long. AIM has some Russian AKs that could be good (I haven't heard anything about them yet). In general, milled receivers are considered better. Some of the thumbhole AKs are probably better quality than the SAR-1s and could legally be converted to pistol grip configuration if you install U.S. trigger parts, etc.

On the other end of the price scale, there are sub-$200 AKs that are limited to thinner 10-round magazines and thumbhole stocks. I understand some are of pretty good quality (Hungarian SA2000 (?)).

But I still think the SAR-1 hits the "sweet spot" for me. I don't think of ANY AK as a "fine rifle," so I can't get excited about paying $600-$800 for one. I'd rather get an AR or an FAL for that kind of money. But I enjoy shooting my SAR-1s. In fact, I just installed a Bulgarian-style black plastic stockset on one. And I've got a Kobra red-dot sight on order that should snap right onto the SAR-1s siderail mount. Come to think of it...I'm getting close to the $600 range with these add-ons! Oh well.

Regarding the caliber, I recommend the 7.62x39 (standard AK) caliber. There are rifles available in .22 calibers (.223 and a Russian version), but I don't see the point. These aren't long range, highly accurate rifles. I like the cheap, easy to find 7.62. It does probably kick a little more, but it is also adequate for deer and other medium game if you are so inclined. Good luck.

Doug

[This message has been edited by DougB (edited May 06, 2000).]

Yes, if price is a consideration and you don't mind being limited to 10 round mags, the SA-2000 is the one to buy. If you can find one. KBI has halted production on these rifles, due to their total ban in Kalifornia and the fact that the price was driven so low because of the markets. The Hungarian models are reported to be the best stamped receiver AK's out there. If you can find a SA-85 at a good price jump on it.

jet, I would have to agree with Doug. I just bought an SAR-1 in 7.62. I also have 2 SKS in the same. This way I keep everything in the same cal.
Anyway for the money it was a nice rifle. All the wood on mine matches and everything else fits good. One thing I read about them though is that some of them have sub-standard trigger-hammer sets on them and tend to show wear after awhile. Supposidly the metal in them is soft, and they are some of the American made parts that make them legal. They can be replaced as needed.
I was impressed overall with the rifle I like it and don't regret getting one. I had looked at a brand new Bulgarian that was really nice and an original but the price was more than double. Also I understand that the ones with milled recievers are prone to cracking due to stress,Don't know that for sure though.
So for what its worth, Hope this helps.
I'm sure if you get one you will like it. :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited May 05, 2000).]

Personal favorite is the original Egyptian Maadi imported by Steyr. It is the closest you can get to a Russian AKM. About 2k were imported before Steyr stopped.

Second favorite is the Polytech Legend milled AK-47 with a fixed stock. The underfolding stocks could get worn and wobbly with age.

Back