Which 450 Bushmaster would be more accurate?

tpcollins

Which would be more accurate - the Ruger American 450 Bushmaster bolt action with a 16" barrel and 1:16 twist or a 16" 450 Bushmaster upper for my Colt AR15 with a 1:24 twist?

I would think the bolt action would provide more velocity, not sure which twist would work best. Thanks.

Twist rate and accuracy all depends on what bullet weights you plan to shoot the most often. So, what bullet weights do you plan to shoot?

Also, in general, what will you be shooting? Hogs? Dangerous game? Hogs are seldom alone and having quick follow up shots with the AR platform would be more advantageous to me than hair splitting accuracy. Both need to be reasonably accurate but the speed of the AR can't be understated when compared to a bolt gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hornady ammo is a 250gr FTX tipped bullet. It would be basically just for deer since that cartridge is now legal to use in the southern Michigan zone. There usually is the possibility of 200 yard shots across agricultural fields here. Thanks.

I also am thinking about adding the 450Bushmaster and am about to pull the trigger on building an AR upper. The Ruger I'm sure is a fine gun but I like the ability to swap out pieces on an AR and hope the semi will absorb a little of the kick from the rifle.

The 450 is an honest 250 yard piece. I bought the Bushmaster rifle and it shoots 1/2" with Hornady ammo. Only change I made was an aftermarket trigger and added a Leupold 1x4 Hog Plex. If you load, look no further than the Hornady recommended Lil'Gun. With all the bolt guns that I have, I confess that my favorites have become my 450 and Grendel.

No way to predict which will shoot faster. It could go either way, but most likely not enough to matter.

99 times out of 100 a bolt gun is going to be more accurate than a semi-auto and those Ruger rifles have developed a reputation for being more accurate than average.

A 1:24 twist seems to be pretty standard for the round. I have no idea why Ruger went with 1:16, but it appears to work for them.

I think the semi- will recoil less, but mostly because it is a lot heavier. The Ruger is just 5.5 lbs. That is not much for a round with that much recoil.

You can buy at least 2 Rugers for what the AR will cost.

What is more important, precision shooting or rapid fire. Not that I think the AR will be inaccurate, but my money is on the bolt gun for pure accuracy.

Not sure I would want to shoot that round much

as the barrels are the same it could go either way as to be irrelevant. The gas part makes no difference.

Seems like the attempt to turn the AR into an elephant gun was semi successful!

Ruger has a brake so that makes it closer to the AR in recoil.

For deer I would suspect no often a good follow up shot so either one works.

The AR would give you an edge there but by the time you recover and the deer is moving, probably a bad second shot at best and maybe none.

Back