Which .357sig pistol has the least amount of felt-recoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambonator

When shooting a cartridge that matches, and often exceeds, the ballistics of a .357 magnum, through a pistol weighing 30% to 60% less than common .357 magnum revolvers, I think recoil is an issue.
So which pistols chambered for the .357sig have you shot, and which ones had less felt-recoil? Which ones have you "heard about" in this respect?
Thank you for your input!!

I have fired the SIG 226, 229, and 239 in .357 SIG. I have also fired a Glock 3X something (it was the mid size .357 SIG) and I have to say of all the Glock had the most felt recoil. It wasn't hard to manage, but of all, it was the least pleasant to shoot. The 226 and 229 were both about equal in recoil, with a slight edge going to my 229. It felt a little softer than the 226 for some reason. The 239 recoil is extremely manageable with Hogue finger groove rubber grips on it.
I thought the Glock would be more fun to shoot, and had considered buying it from my friend until I shot it.

Sambo:

The only one I've fired is the one I own, a SIG P226. About the same size as a P220, I don't find the recoil to be that bad...little more snap perhaps, but its the report that really gets your attention.

Mike

My answer is somewhat limited in value, since I'm really comparing apples to oranges. I have a Glock 33 (sub-compact) and A Sig P229. Of those two, the Sig has less recoil, which is expected, but both are still very manageable for me. Like noted above, the noize and muzzle blast are more of an issue than actual recoil, at least for me. Should have seen the sideways looks I got from some folks next to me at the indoor range! :)

------------------
Regards - AZFred

I have fired the .357 SIG cartridge in the P226, the different Glocks and the AMT backup pistol in that caliber. The AMT had the most recoil, but not anything near what I would consider painful. In fact after over a thousand rounds through my issued P226 I compare it best to the old .38 Super cartridge or a real hot +P+ 9mmP. The blast, recoil and muzzle flash is nowhere near the old .357 Magnums with the 125 grain rounds that I owned or carried for years. That includes everything from a 8 3/8 inch Model 27 S & W to the two inch Taurus 605. By the way, if you want to impress/distress everyone else on a pistol range, shoot a 605 with 125 grain Winchesters. With Uncle Mikes's boot grips, it is pure pain after about the first five rounds.
Take care and God bless,
Paladin

a note on Glocks in .357 and .40; over at Glock Talk, comments have been made that felt recoil in these two cartridges is higher than it needs to be due to the recoil spring not being as stiff as it could be for the hotter loads. folks with stronger aftermarket springs report a substantial reduction in felt recoil with Wolff springs that are 2 or 4 lb stiffer.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will.

Have shot 357 SIG in all the Glocks, SIGs and the USP compact.

I like the Glocks best cuzz I shoot it best (tighter and faster). Slightly more felt recoil, but not enough to matter; the others tended to flip more, and that did matter.

Using Speer Gold Dots; avg over 1400 fps from my G32.

YMMV, as always. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

Thank you all for your input!!
Does anyone know if HK plans to release a full-size USP chambered for the 357Sig?
If not, has anyone had any experience with aftermarket 357Sig barrels for the full-size USP 40?
Again, thanks in advance for your replies!!

Full size USP 40 mags don't like the 357SIG; not reliable enough to bet your life on.

The USP compact 357SIG mags are marked different, may be different. Get different answers every time I talk to a different rep at HK!?

Glock may/may not work w mag switching either. Mine do, others have had probs.

Go SIG if you want to be sure to switch w the same mags.

------------------
>>>>---->

Theoritically, the SIG P229 SPORT should have the lowest recoil for two reasons:

one, the entire gun is made out of stainless steel and weighs 46oz empty.
two, the hugh compensator should reduce recoil quite a bit.

I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back