Which .357 to Buy?

Fabrat

Inactive
Hi all -- I'm looking to buy a new ( or slightly used ) .357. I have a few different models in mind but can only buy one. I'm looking for a little advice - the ones I have in mind are a 4" GP100, a 4" Taurus Tracker, a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, or a 4" pre-agreement Model 19 ( or similar model ) .. any advice ??

Fabrat,

Welcome aboard! Could you tell us a little more? It would help to know what you intend to do with it and what your expectations might be (accuracy vs. durability vs. cost, etc.).

There's a plethora of choices out there so if you fill in some details we can give you some focused advice.

Given your choices...a heavy barrelled 4" stainless 357...good all around gun, home defense, target and some hunting options are easily available to you......
I would go for the Ruger or Taurus...both are excellent guns. There is a 4" GP100 in exc. condintion at a pawn shop in SLC for 275.00 $ with a cowboy belt holster.....If you look around you can find some nice deals out there....Shoot well

I vote for ruger. I have a gp100 with stainless steel and 3 inch barrel. It is nice and solid and has a great reputation. I even bought a 101 in 357 and like it. But the hot loads make you decide not to shoot a box of rounds out of it until you get used to the little gun. They are both solid little guns and I love them.

I do plan to eventually get a single action ruger, but it will be in 44. It got moved to the backburner again. something else popped up.

I think they are all good choices.

The GP100 will be more "chunky" than the others in typical Ruger fashion - built like a truck. I've never owned a double action Ruger revolver but their reputation for being well built is widely recognized.

Using my Super Blackhawk as a reference, the Blackhawk is also a very well built revolver and would serve well. You don't mention intended use; if protection is among them I might pass on the SA Blackhawk.

I sold off my Taurus revolver (Model 85 38 Special) to fund another purchase. It was a good gun - I ended up selling it to my boss (wouldn't have wanted to sell him a lemon!). He still has it today. My other Taurus is a PT940 which is a favorite; I am pleasantly surprised in just how well this gun shoots. Taurus guns today are not the Taurus guns of 10 years ago. I think a Taurus would serve you well & I have no reservations in recommending them.

A pre-Agreement Smith, IMHO, is the Cadillac. The lines of the Smith are streamlined & attractive, and the trigger pull quality is legendary. When compared to a Ruger GP, the M19 is definetly not as bulky in build. While I do like Taurus, given my choice between the 2 I would probably give a nod to the Smith, assuming the Smith was used & in excellent condition.

With the exception of the SA Blackhawk as a PD gun, any of your choices would be good. My own personal preference would be:

1). Used, excellent condition pre-agreement M19.
2). New Taurus Tracker
3). New Ruger

I guess I should be a bit more specific -- this will be a general use gun - carry it while out in the woods, with much use on the range so I can hit the broad side of a barn with the iron sights. I have no great expectations of accuracy; 3" at 25 yards with iron sights would be all I'd expect - my limitations, not the guns. I have a T/C Contender that is scoped for accuracy, but that ones not a carry gun by any means. I may or may not carry the new gun concealed; I have a ccw permit but I think any one of the four will be OK for that. I like the Taurus, but a lot of folks lean towards the Ruger. I've also owned a Super Blackhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel, again not a carry gun. Anyone had any problems with the Tracker? How about the Ruger??

The Ruger Blackhawk will be fine for a woods gun, though I prefer the single action revolvers in larger calibers. Also the SA revolver will meet the defensive needs of the average civillian. So unless you work as a bodyguard or something I would not frett about needing more firepower.

From your choice's, I agree with WE SHOOT2; Ruger's
KGP-141. "Built like a rock", this gun will last a lifetime.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back