Which .357 mag to get? Ruger GP100 or S&W 686???

KowHunter

A friend of mine is wanting a new .357 revolver with a stainless finish and a 4 inch barrel and with adjustable sights. Which of these 2 choices do you guys think would be better overall? The Smith and Wesson 686 with a 4 inch barrel? Or the Ruger GP100 with a 4 inch barrel?

Most people will recommend the 686 because the trigger can be easily smoothed out by a competent smith. I am going to go against the grain though and say buy the Ruger GP100.
This revolver is strong, rugged, and made with fewer parts that can break. You can drive a truck over it and it will still come up working right.

The extra size and weight will help soak up the punishment of hot .357 loads. The satin finish is easy to care for. It has nice large neoprene grips. Finally, the price is at least $100 less than the S&W. For an all-around sporting revolver, it is the choice.

As for the question of the trigger on the Ruger, put a 1000 rounds through it and sees how it breaks in. :cool:

In the past I have owned both. I can say that the S&W 686 4" was the finest pistol "right out of the box" that I have ever owned. It is simple, super accurate and reliable. Weight 41oz

The Ruger GP100 is also a very fine revolver but the quality control on the ones that I have owned and seen has not been as good as Smith. The GP100 has several more little parts that make up the firing mech. When you de-assemble it you have to use a little pin to hold the tension spring while you remove the hammer and entire trigger mech. I never really liked that very much and you almost always loose the little pin the fits inside the grip. The GP100 is accurate and I have never had a problem with it but I would have to vote for the Smith for its quality and simplicity. WEight of GP100 4" 40-41oz

I see that the technical aspects of these two revolvers have already been addressed.
Putting that aside, if you just go on the aesthetics, my vote goes to the 686. Although the GP100 is a beauriful gun with its satin stainless finish and the wood grip inserts, The 686 can be dressed up for a minimal price. S&W provides really nice scroll laser engraving for a mere $65. Now add a pair of exotic hardwood grips on it and you have one beautiful piece.

The first revo I purchased was the 686 4 inch. I bought because:
1) It feels great
2) It shoots great-less than 1.0@25y
3) It handles great
4) It looks great
5) It's my 'smiths favorite (he has
many...
The first time my 15 year old daughter shot it she grouped 6 inches @ 25 feet all by herself with no coaching.The first try...
You would never go wrong with a SMITH.especially the >> 686 <<.

Personal preference. I say find the one that fits you best and out of the two choices you can not go wrong, period.

I have owned a 686 and still own my GP-100, the GP-100 just fells better to me. I personally love the Ruger grips.

Nothing wrong with the Smith's, it just comes down to personal preference.

If you can get ahold of a shooting times, i think it was July or August of 1999 they did a test between the two revolvers.

The RUGER won on brute toughness and the Smith won on the accuracy from a ransom rest.

In the real world, who knows, who cares.

Buy what you like and dont look back.

Hope this helps

Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm -- Judge Blackhawk

I am in the process of deciding between the two. I shot both at the range today and have to say I prefer the trigger and overall aesthetic apeal of the Smith 686. Ruger was a nice gun too, and very, very similar in performance to the S&W. Here's the equation I broke down.

Ruggedness + good price = Ruger

Looks + performance = S&W

Is their overlap in my addition ? Yes, thats why I suggest you follow everyone else's advice and go try both guns.

[This message has been edited by MusclesMcGee (edited January 07, 2000).]

I'm in a similar dilemma with .357 and could use some advice. I've found a used Python for a good price...but how would you stack that up against a 686?

I would have to say go with the S&W 686. The Ruger GP100 is not a bad gun or anything like that in fact it is a great gun, but not as good as the 686.

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

Get the GP-100 it's a better ,tougher gun!! :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

>> GKT <<
Did they want 2 pounds of flesh for the COLT?
Try searching this site for the 686 and GP
debate. You'll find these 2 guns mentioned whole bunches more than the Python.
Colt appears to be playing some hype game,IMHO. Parts and CS will probably suffer in the mix
Check GUNWEB.COM for past test of 686.
regards, dewey

Back