Which .357 did the FBI carry ?

In 1935, J. Edgar Hoover, Director of the FBI was presented with the first production .357 Magnum - Factory Registered.*
It was a 3.5 inch N-Frame. This revolver evolved into the Model 27, The .357 Magnum.

More recently, within the last 30 years or so, it was a Model 13, with a 3 inch barrel.

*Ref. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Supica and Nahas

Last edited:
According to Jim Supica and Richard Nahas' "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson," a copy of which my favorite nephew got me for Christmas :), in 1972 a batch of about 450 Model 19s (4-inch, round-butt) that had previously belonged to the Office of Naval Intelligence/Naval Investigative Service, were transferred to the FBI and remained in service until the late 1990s, although no mention is made about where or how they were used.

The book also says that the 3-inch Model 13 was a standard issue beginning with its introduction in 1974 and until the Bureau started to replace it with autoloaders in the mid-1980s.

hate to say this

but I had/do own all of the above listed revos and as much as I love the pre/post war .357s if I had to carry for my job I'd prolly go with my Nickle 3" RB M13. Great piece....dewey

F.B.I. and Wheelguns?

Did the F.B.I. ever issue the Smith & Wesson model 19/66
in the 2-1/2" barrel length? It just seems like a logical choice,
in the day's of the wheelgun.:) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

From reading various FBI after-action reports over the years, it seems that there were a variety of revolvers used prior to (and even during) the agency's shift to autoloaders. For example, in the infamous 1986 Miami shootout, the FBI agents were carrying revolvers that included a 2.5" M-19, a M-36 Chief's Special (as a backup), and a 4-inch K-frame (I don't recall the model). [Some SAs also carried S&W 459 9mm autos, but that's not relevant to this topic.]

Ancient history: In the '40s and '50s (and likely the '30s and '60s) the FBI issued what was generally referred to as "a 38 on the 44 frame" -- a four-inch barrel S&W "N" frame revolver, generally loaded with 158 grain LRN .38 Special +Ps (although the +P designation was not in use at that time). This was a highly effective combination, then and now.

Also, considerable latitude was granted to SAs who wished to carry personal handguns.

The source for this information is my father, an Agent and firearms instructor in the Pittsburgh, Chicago, Buffalo, DC and NYC field offices during this period.

Back