which 22lr?

• Thread starter Thread starter dZ
  • Start date Start date

dZ

i feel the need for a 22lr in my safe. Today i stopped by a store and looked at the new marlins, saw an AR-7, and checked out a 1940's mossberg with match sights

the mossy is $230
the Ar7 is a bit flimsy
the marlins are ok
but kinda plain
i preferred the tube fed one.
they also had a tube fed marlin used for 70 bucks.

tomorrow i am going to look at the remington line & sneak a peak at the 10/22.

Then there is the Browning takedown. It is expensive, but quite the marvel of engineering. I really like Brownings website with photographically illustrated online manuals.

But the mossberg seems to have a few stories to tell...

dZ

i have a marlin 883SS .22 WMR
it is the tube feed, stailess, laminated version
it is an absolute tackdriver!!!!
groups of under one inch @ 100 yds. ar not uncommon.
also have a old marlin buckaroo and it shoots well

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!

Don't get a 10/22, be original! Yes there is a huge aftermarket arena for the 10/22, but it should tell you something. It needs improvement to shoot well. The local Wally-Mart has a new 10/22 for $159.00, I got a Marlin 880SQ for $189 and out of the box it shoots well under an inch at 50 yards, My 10/22 was at over 2 inches out of the box and was much tougher to work with. My 880 has NO work done to it and outshoots $800.00 10/22's regularly. Be original, get off the bandwagon and save yourself some bucks and get a better factory rifle for your money.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

well Galayan's has a basic ruger 10/22 with a burris scope for 160

but i really dislike Bill Rugewr's politics and the Marlin seems like a better road leass traveled

i lofted a few rifles last night
the plastic stocked ones feel cheap

the 60SS from Marlin seems about right
laminate stock, stainless, tube fed, semiauto
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/rim_tubular.html

dZ

dz...

Check out the Remington Model 552 BDL. This is one of the very few rifles that will chamber any of the .22 caliber rounds (LR, longs, and shorts) fed from a 15 round tube magazine. Tis very accurate and relatively inexpensive.

the remington appears to be twice the cost of the Marlins...

10/22 is temptingly inexpensive

the barrel banded low end models may not be as accurate as the deluxe or international models

there are a bunch of aftermarket parts for the 10/22

but IMHO Bill Ruger is partially responsible for the 10 round mag limit.

dZ

Here is another Marlin Vote.

I picked up a Model 60 last year. $129 out the door. It is a Tack Driver too!. Picked up a used 10/22 - It shoots like my last 10/22! Looooser... Yes, i could build the 10/22 up to the accuracy level of the Marlin. Why?

Turned a buddy on to the Marlin. He fell in love. One visit to the Pawn shop later, he had 3 Model 60's for $180++ (Tax,NICS) Dirty Bas****! (grin)

Took the New Model 60 out with the 10/22 and some beginner shooters. Stood back and watched. Found out the guy with the Marlin was a natural shooter! Poor guy with the 10/22 sucks (to myself I said this). Then they traded firearms... Guess what happened? All of a sudden the "Natural Shooter" sucked and the "Sucker" began to become a "Natural".

Hmmm. Costs less, more accurate - Gee, I just cant spend boat loads of $$$ on accessories. Guess it's a good thing.

PS - SlickP - (LOL) You kill me some times... (grin) But why do you have to be RIGHT so often???

even though you may not like bill ruger's politics you cannot argue with the quality of his firearm (cept the pre p89/90 auto pistols).
IMHO

dZ,
One .22 rifle is simply never enough. I have an entire rack of fine rifles, but it is the .22s that get used all the time. With that in mind, let me make several suggestions of .22s that I really enjoy shooting:

MARLIN M39: I have a 39A made in the 1950s. From Stingers to CB caps it will digest them all with equal aplomb and knock the center out of a bull at 50 yards. My youngest son has a 39M we paid $90 for a couple of years back.

NYLON 66: Has got to be the most indestructible .22 autoloader on earth. Get the Remington version as I am not sure of the imports' quality. Weighs about 3 pounds and will shoot forever.

MARLIN MODEL 60: Can not add anything else of note to the prior posts, but it has got to be the best value ever on the market.

REMINGTON 572: Just a heck of a lot of fun with a pump action that will take shorts,longs, and long rifles.

WINCHESTER MODEL 52: Accuracy, thy name is Winchester Model 52C Heavy barrel. They simply do not make them like they used to.

BROWNING .22 AUTOMATIC: If an award for beauty and balance was ever given for any rifle, the Browning would surely at least make the short list. A wonderful design!

I know I left out several others, but this is just a short note.

Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited November 04, 1999).]

geeesh,, i dont think i know anyone that does not have a 10/22. I thought that it was just part of being a gun person.. I have had my old deluex 10/22 for years,,, have had more fun with that rifle that any other one I own. I am sure there all sort of reason to have something else, but for just fun shooting you cant beat it.. MHO

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

stopped by kmart on the way home 2 night

they had a savage, a marlin 60, a remington 597 & a 10/22

marlin was a basic wood stocked, blued barreled model
$118 15% of works out to 100 bucks
Does the 60ss with the laminate stock have a wider fore end?

10/22 was $159

remington was a similar price
i did not like the soft plastic mags in the remington

dZ

Back