Which .22LR rifle?

shamster

I'm completely new to rifles. All my experience is in handguns. I've been thinking about getting a .22LR for long range plinking fun with a scope. What's a good model that's not horribly expensive? Also, how hard and time consuming is cleaning rifles compared to handgun maintainence?

Consider a Ruger 10/22, or an older Remington Nylon 66. Both are inexpensive work-horses, and require little or no maintenance. Unless you shoot some corrosive type ammo (foreign mfg'd import)or some with low-quality waxed lead bullets, then you shouldn't have to clean your bore on a .22lr as they tend to be self cleaning.

I'll second Mykl on the Ruger 10/22. Inexpensive, reliable and if you ever want to customize it, there is an entire cottage industry out there to meet your every whim.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Hey shamster,

I'll throw out the wild card... Marlin Model 60 is a surprising rifle. I didn't think that I would like it... but it was inexpensive ($150 w/ NICS & TAX). Buddy of mine found a pawn shop with lots of these in storage. He did better - 3 for $180!

I own both the Marlin 60 and a 10/22. The Marlin HITS alot better than the Ruger. I have had both rifles on hand with newbys and the one with the Marlin SHAMES the 10/22 user. Just a very accurate rifle out of the box.

Marlin is tube fed, and there really aren't alot of accessories for it. 10/22 can be accessorized like crazy. I hear that it is not to tough to get them REALLY accurate, just add a little $$$ and you are ready. Here in Reno, the 10/22 is about 50% more to purchase new.

When in doubt, try before you buy if you can!

HTH

I hope you check out the Remington 597 before purchasing. Remington brought this out about 2 years ago to compete with the Ruger 10/22, and it's a better gun for me.

It is more accurate out of the box than any 10/22 I've fired (and I used to manage a gun store, back in the day). Good trigger, for nowadays. It's pre-tapped for scope mounts, and has a rail for .22 cheapie scopes. It has a ten-round magazine that's lasted through over 5k rounds for me. And the stock, unlike that of the 10/22, is designed for someone with an average adult build.

Granted, there aren't anywhere near the accessories for the Remington that one can find for the 10/22, but for my purposes it really fit the bill.

I really can't tell you anything that the other haven't already said, but I'll just pass along my experiences.

I have found that the Marlin is more accurate, and I think, a lot better balanced. They are very economical as well. True there aren't a lot of of customizing options out there, but it is a great lttle rifle. My brother has one with a stainless bbl. They also cost a lot less than a 10/22.

Now after saying all that, I own a 10/22. However, it is my second attempt with one. The first one was utterly horrible. It wouldn't even group when fired from a bench. I ended up taking it back and swapping it for a shotgun and the cash difference. It turns out that the same gun had been returned 4 other times. It was the last time that I bought a gun from Wal-Mart. My current version is one of the European models with laminated stock and stainless heavy bbl. I only bought it because I got it at cost.

I have never fired the new Remmington mentioned in this thread, but I like the look and feel of it. I also think that you can't go wrong with a Remmington. If I ever run across one of the old Nylons in good condidtion, I'll bring it home.

------------------
"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it." --Daniel Webster

After my previous post I couldn't help but think that we were all leaving something out. I guess we all just assumed that you were interested in semi-autos. You may also want to look at some bolt-actions as well. Check out the Remmingtons and Marlins if the BA interest you.

I wholeheartedly agrre with the Marlin rifles. I have 2 of them. A .22 and a .22 Magnum. Both are tack drivers and less than 200$.

CMOS

Marlin. Why pay more when the accuracy isn't going to get much better? Why accesorize when it shoots fine out of the box?

------------------
TJS

Erich,

Finally someone who shares my basic complaint with the 10/22. Why don't they build one sized to fit normal adults? Why should I spend the money to re-stock it so it fits me?

anyway off the rant...

An autoloader will tend to be harder to clean then a bolt gun. Personally, those Marlin 39A's are a great adult 22lr rifle and, when purchased used are not that expensive (~$165 for a clean one).

What do you expect to do with the rifle. Those cheap scopes that come with factory 22lr autoloaders are pretty bad in terms of field of view and clarity.

What ever you do, buy an adult sized rifle. An ill fitting rifle stock will not let you enjoy 22lr shooting to its fullest. If you're lucky, you will find a Kimber bolt gun like I did.

Sid

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited August 07, 1999).]

Add me to the list of praisers of the Marlin/Glenfield model 60. I bought mine new for around $50 to $60 way back when. I just rescoped it a couple of weeks ago with a 4X. It will shoot circles around my Browning lever action (the Browning is a major disappointment and I see a very limited future for it). I have more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Try the Marlin Model 60. It is a tube fed, 14 shot auto---well balanced and great accuracy out of the box. Got mine for under a $100 including tax with a cheapo scope to boot!

Back