Which 1911

Hawkman

I am trying to put together a small collection of interesting firearms (M-1 Garand, Colt Python, etc) and am debating a 1911 style semi.

Question is, with my $1000 or so should I buy a NIB Gold Cup, a 70 series Colt Government model, or a used tricked up 80 series Government?

Decision needs to be made today,

HELP!!!

Hawk

I withdraw the question. There is enough info in several other threads which, taken together, answer the question.

Thanks!

Mebbe so, but when I examined the Gold Cup and the Gold Match side by side, it was obvious that the Kimber was of better manufacture. Better fit of slide to frame, better detail, better trigger, better finish, and only $200 more. For sentimental reasons I would have chosen the Colt, but I only got so many dollars! :)

Hawk

Series 70 Gold Cup

The older Gold Cup's were probably on a par with the Kimber Gold MT. The fit and finish on the one I owned was excellent...wish I still had it. But even in the '70's and early 80's folks were buying generic Colt Gov't and tricking them at much greater cost than a Gold Cup ... sometimes they actually got a better pistol, sometimes they ruined it. You can't go wrong with the Kimber.

Back