Which 1911?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSG

I know, I know, some of you FL old timers have covered this to death in various posts but I couldn't find a good thread in the archives that answered my question, which is:

Which 1911 combines the best features of value, reliability, versatility, and accuracy? In other words, what's the best deal going for a guy new to the 1911 world? My early research points me towards Springfields.

I have always owned Glocks and Berettas as well as wheel guns. My only .45 was a Star PD that always went bang (as have my Glocks and Berettas). Ankeny's woes about his new Kimber Gold Match got me to wondering...

Hope to hear from you guys!

Chris

How much money do want to spend and what do you want to use it for? Meaning IDPA, fun, CCW, or what?

Johnboy and anyone else,

I'm interested in general recreational shooting, not competition, and possibly defensive shooting. Frankly, I'm fairly expert in that category with my Glock or carry revolver so I don't anticipate a change there.

I just want something fun to shoot. I'm leaning towards a traditional design, mil-spec design (old Colt, new Springfield, etc.).

As far as funds, as little as possible!

Mr. Stringer give this guy the facts, you
build 1911s, I read one post where you use Essex frames, do you get them from Brownells
I think the best 1911 is the one we try to build ourselves, if we succeed better than a Kimber, so many options, I think the companys building the 1911s like Colt are
building cheap guns that should sell for $250
and for that price I could buy a frame and maybe a slide,I remember your GPC barrels you
buy so theres a cost saver, like to hear your
ideas. :}

Springfield has its "Loaded" deal. Very good bargain.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My motto is "more rounds is better" (for the fun factor) so I'll have to go with either the Para or a Springfield for both quality & reliability.
One in .40 S&W holds 16+1rnds or 14+1 in .45ACP
The 40 can be used with a 10mm bbl - Woohoo !
But then you can go lower down the price range & get a Charles Daly Hi Cap or IAI Industries M7000 wide body for many $ less & build it into what you want. :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

In an OUT OF THE BOX 1911 I would choose Springfield followed closely by COLT.

Under the criteria you have stated I would go with traditional "GOVERMENT" style 1911. Meaning the models that have 5" barrels and narrow single stack (8+1) grip.

Check out as many as possible and decide for yourself...

Can't beat Springfield Armory price and selection though...

------------------
SURE SHOT

IMO, you'd be best served by buying a old GI piece and building up. We get to nitpicking here, and for carry/HD,we basically need....

Good sights we can pick up fast, not necessarily adjustable,IF we can get them on target.

A good trigger, and clean counts a skosh more than light.Let a qualified smith do this part.

Grips that fit our hand.TIP, a little 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around the front strap works just as well as expensive stippling/ checkering. Also,try both a flat and arched mainspring housing.

Use crocus cloth or a felt tip on your Dremel and jeweler's rouge to polish the feed ramp and the end of the chamber enough to feel glassy to a fingernail. DO NOT change any angles or round off anything.

Next, buyamessa ammo, and hie thyself out to the range.Using good technique, shoot up the ammo. Repeat frequently.

At this time,you'll know if the piece needs anything else. Maybe a new bbl and bushing. Maybe not. Unless the piece is loose enough to rattle when shaken, you now have an excellent defensive handgun, perhaps the best.

You've now reached a better place than the folks with all the bells and whistles,and spent enough less you might be able to go to Thunder Ranch, or take another good shooting class. Good luck and enjoy...

I'm quite fond of the aforementioned Springfield loaded. (I'd rather spend time at the range than the vise.) It had the best quality/price ratio.

------------------
I gotta get a cheaper hobby.

I think Dave McC has given sage advice, especially about shooting up lots of ammo using good technique. That will get you further using an average pistol than a guy who buys the latest style 1911 clone and shoots a box or two of ammo.

In my experience, even the standard 1911A1 issued by the gum't and disparaged by many a GI as impossible to shoot, has potential accuracy greater than most shooters can exploit. If you get to where you can shoot a stocker and keep 50 shots in the black at 50', you are on your way to becoming a bona fide pistoleer. You have mastered sight picture and trigger control with the kicking, brass spewing beast. Then you can work on speed.

Once you have mastered the 1911 as above, you will have no trouble with most any pistol you decide to shoot.

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

James M - You dead on target.
My Springfield TRP is OUT OF THE BOX Brand spanking new... It is both Accurate, Easy to shoot, hits POA, and RELIABLE! (so far - 250 rounds fired at this point)
My Kimber has a quirk that I don't like. It hits low by several inches - and well - isnt grouping to my satisfaction. My wifes Springfield V-10 hits POA, is a tight shooterm and over all a better gun I feel that this Kimber Pro Carry. I was shooting a different ammo when I initially tested it - and it shot well with that ammo. But not my choice of carry ammo. [HUH]?!?[/HUH]
Anyways - I think I will dump the Kimber and get me a V-10 too.
A 3 Springfield Family... hmmm...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

George and others,

I sstarted this topic as a karma thing. I'd ordered a standard Springfield loaded 1911A1 earlier this week expecting to be shooting it by today. Alas, my dealer couldn't find one for me. (I wanted blue, not stainless).

I figured I'd ask you guys your thoughts before I went on to search one out. Any ideas who's got one and how much I should pay? The new shipping rates are a bit*h

Fun Question! I take a Charles Daley with a fairly loose slide, sloopy barrel bushing, no 4 micro finish on the ramp, 14lb recoil spring, 21 lb hammer spring,16+lb trigger pull, black right out of the box and then......
(1) take it apart and polish every thing from the hammerspring button to the trigger stirrup -remove no material,just polish polish polish,especially use caution at the sear & hammer notch area,polish polish polish.
(2). Fit a new barrel bushing at the slide and barrel. Oversize O.D,Undersize I.D.polish, polish,lap bushing i.d.
(3) peen the frame. 1" front (muzzle end)and 1"rear (grip end)tap tap tap tap tap. with a block of wood I GENTLY move the slide back on the frame, back and fourth once, remove the slide and add a LITTLE lapping compound, lap lap lap frame IN the slide grooves. done? clean it! Hard parts over...piece of cake.
Now you have a tight barrel bushing NO wiggle at the muzzle and a well fitted slide.
(4) add (1) 18.5lb recoil spring (1)18lb Hammer spring stir in .230 JHP, 6.3grs of Win 231, CCI300 L/P primer, stuff it all in a piece of Win brass and go shoot 1.5" at 50' all day long (off a bag).
(5) File and polish polish polish the FRONT sight to suit.
(6) take it apart, remove the black finish, blue using Neiders Slow Rust Process. Now you have a beautiful shooting, most durable finish, a 4.5Lb trigger with a hammer that wont follow (because you didnt whack up the hammer/sear relationship, remember polish polish polish)
(7) You have a piece that cost you about $400. a lot of fun and a really reliable shooter. With an extended slide release, ambi safty,beavertail grip.
(8) Ive built this one in less than 3 weekends. over 2000 rounds and it has never failed to chamber, rememnber polish polish polish! i got more tired just trying to figure out who would give me the most for the least and went at it. (do your home work before you begin).

[This message has been edited by TGS (edited November 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TGS (edited November 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TGS (edited November 20, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back