Which 1911 maker to buy from?

Rusty S

This is driving me crazy!!!

Wilson, Colt, Kimber, STI, Para-Ord, Charles Daly, IAI, Springfield, Red Rock...

I've been "away" for more than 10 years from the 1911. Had a nickled Colt Series 70 Government Model 45. Liked it, but traded it off due to inaccuracy. Had two different Colt Series 70 Combat Commanders ( 5 years apart ) in 9mm. Never got either one to feed right.

Kept up with the other guns, but not the 1911. Now I come back looking for a carry pistol, and it's like opening Fibber McGee's closet, everything falls out on you.

I think I want a lightweight, with Commander or Gov't slide, in 45 acp, and short trigger ( small hands ), ( visible ) fixed sights, medium sized safety. Other than that, I want it to be box stock. Let me repeat that. I want the thing box stock ( um, I didn't say which box ). No rubber, no plastic, no full length guide rod, no fancy gadgets, no metal injection molding. Just quality.

Think of a pre-70's S&W model 12 ( an aluminum framed model 10 Military and Police ).

Suggestions?

Rusty,

For very best use of YOUR money HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Springfield Armory Custom Shop.
Simply contact them with your stated requirements; you will be suprised at both the reasonable cost and the superior nature of their work. Some of the very finest 'smithing available, regardless of cost, in the world. And exactly what you want!

http://www.springfield-armory.com

Get the Kimber. The best buy is probably the Classic Stainless or Stainless Target. I have had five Kimbers and every one has worked beautifully and flawlessly. They are definitely the best buy in the 1911 market.

A few years back, Springfield made up a run of 45's for Lew Horton Dist. called the "Night 45". It did not have all the garf hanging all over it, including the Smith&Wesson type sights which have become all the rage lately in the 1911 world. They had a simple,clean set of Trijicon nite sights. Best part,is they made one with an alloy frame,full size. Might want to see if one of those is gloating around somewhere.

The new Colts come with Videki triggers,and are as good as any. Also, the price is right, like at least a hundred and a half less or so than the Kimber.

And as for cretins? God bless cretins, wish we had more.

Regards,

If you're willing to shell out the bucks, a Wilson Compact Protector or Les Baer Concept IX are exactly what you're describing.

Authenticity has nothing to do with it.

I may be all wet, but the basic stock pattern parts just seem to me to make the gun work more reliably. After all, they've had 90 years to tweak them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't swap the factory spring for a Wolf of the same weight, or replace known problem parts with Wilson bulletproof counterparts, but other than that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

A Lightweight Commander should be concealable enough for me, and I suspect a lightweight with a government slide might be more concealable than the steel frame Commander. Far as the compacts go, I get the impression I'd love 'em once they get sorted out.

Look, I'm a middle of the road guy. When it comes to stopping power between small, light, hi-velocity (357Mag)/large, heavy, medium-velocity (45acp)/or large, heavy, hi-velocity (44Mag) MY answer ( for open carry ) has been a fixed sight S&W model 58 Military and Police in 41 Magnum. And yes, I shoot 90+% on the range with full power loads ( I can't do that with the 44 ).

Anyway, some good points you guys have brought up, so bttt and see what else gives me more food for thought. Thanks.

If money is a concern (i.e., you don't want to spend more than $1,000) then I'd get a Springfield from their custom shop made to your specs. They'll give you what you ask for. Try it.

If money is NOT a concern then I'd get something from Wilson Combat. Les Baer is good as well, but in my experience Wilson makes a slightly better package for the same money. Other opinions will probably vary.

Happy hunting!

Back