Which 1911 Colt 1991 or SA Mil Spec?

45automan

Hey guys I wanted to get another 1911. Now I don't know what to get,a Colt 1991 or a SA Mil Spec. So which one should I get? I don't mind buying used either.
Thanks,45automan

Hi 45Automan, glad you're looking into another 1911, as I've recently become addicted. I picked up a new Colt Commander 1991A1 (4.25 inch barrel) last weekend, and I'm very pleased with the quality and feel of this gun. The Springfields I've held are also excellent quality and somewhat cheaper than the Colt and Kimber. I haven't seen the Mil Spec, though, even though I'm searching for a basic Government 1911. I was quoted $489 for a standard Springfield Mil-Spec.

Also check out http://www.jldenter.com for some used 1911 at good prices.

45Automan,

My matte stainless 1991 (bought last summer) is an all-around excellent gun. I think it would even feed small rocks in lieu of ammo if I asked it to. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but I want an Officer's-sized gun and those Colts are hard to come by these days.

My solution was to order a Springfield Mil-Spec Ultra Compact, which I'll post a review of once I get it.

I've heard tales of roughness with the Springfields, so I was cautious about ordering it, but I found out that they have a Lifetime Warranty, and that eased my conscience sufficiently.

Also, be forewarned that the new Springfields have the new safety key lock system in the grip. If, like me, you are not interested in paying more money for something you don't even need, you might not want to waste time in locating a standard model.

Good luck!

Go with...

Colt all the way!!!!

Just picked up a new Commander XSE stainless and a new Commander XS Lightweight and both are top of the line in quality, feel, and value...

Get the Colt and don't look back...

Back