Whew! That was a close one!

Nick_C_S

For the first time in 39 years of shooting, I got a bullet stuck in the barrel today. Because this first stuck bullet was the culmination of a whole lot of firsts, it’s hard to get the full context without telling a long story . . .

The last time I shot a gun before today was January 2021. And that gun was my S&W Model 67 (38 Spl) 4” bbl – the same gun as today. After that, I closed up shop at my old residence, to start packing for a move from California to Idaho (yes, firearm laws played a large role in the reason for the move). It took quite a while but we (wife and I) got up here this March. Due to unpacking priorities (set by wife :)), I didn’t get my load bench and work area set up until just a couple weeks ago.

I found out about a firearms safety course for beginners here in the area and I was thinking about going (I’m an advanced shooter, but you can’t attend too many safety courses; and I also thought it would be a good opportunity to get a feel for the firearm culture here). Since I wanted to load some ammo for the first time in my new work area, I decided this would be a good reason to do so. For all I knew, I would be in a situation where I couldn’t collect my brass (I know, it’s a revolver, but still), so I loaded 100 rounds.

The load was 5.8gn Ramshot Silhouette under a 125gn X-treme plated flat point. I chose this bullet and powder because I don’t use a lot of either. I target shoot with wadcutters, and go +P with 125 Hollow points. So the plated 125’s seemed like a good choice. I choose the Silhouette for much the same reason. I bought a pound of it a few years back, but wasn’t pleased with its performance – it has a faster burn rate than I expected. So both components need to be “used up” so to speak. Further, I used some Federal brass that I don’t normally use – figuring if I never see it again, that’d be okay.

I’ve never loaded this combination before. I pulled the data for my Western powders book. The 5.8 was the minimum load for a 125 XTP. I loaded them and all went well despite my rustiness – it was good to be back at the load bench. When I smelled the powder in the jug (which I always do when I open a jug), it seemed weak in smell (usually more “fragrant”), and maybe a little “off,” but nothing too alarming to me. But when I returned the remaining powder in the hopper to the jug, I noticed that a LOT of powder was stuck to the inside wall of the hopper. I didn’t think too much of it at first since some powders tend to do that (Bullseye and Power Pistol, for instance), but this time, it was different. Usually, I’ll knock the powder stuck to the side with a cotton tipped applicator and it just falls right down. This time it stuck and gummed up on the applicator. It had almost a mud-like texture to it.

I was thinking about posting about this here at that time, but decided to go shoot them first and then report. Turns out, I didn’t attend the safety class, but I did go to the nearby range here for the first time – I figured this ammo would be good for this trip. I had never been there and just kind of wanted to “get the lay of the land,” so to speak. I just wanted this first trip to be a "quickie" to feel it out (No RSO, that’s weird to me – talk for another time.)

I get a couple cylinder’s worth downrange and then one round was real low-pitched, but I saw the hole. I knew then my powder had indeed gone bad. I figured “okay, I’ll shoot these off today and dump the powder when I get home.” Then on shot 25, it went “pfffff” and that was it. I thought “wow, that one was REALLY weak” and went to go take the next shot. Then I thought, “are you sure that one left the barrel? I’m not sure there’s any new holes in the target. Maybe I should check, yeah, just for peace of mind I’ll check, but I’m sure it cleared.” I put a cleaning rod down the barrel, and sure enough, a stuck bullet. I was SOOO close to taking another shot behind that stuck bullet. I was aimed up and putting pressure on the trigger when I decided there was no harm in checking.

I had a wooden dowel and tried to clear it in the field, but no luck. My range day was done. At home, with the help of a hammer (and the dowel), I got it out. I removed the cylinder and crane first, btw.

Heck of a way to start my loading/shooting in my new life here in Idaho.

My wife and I spent last summer in a one-bedroom apartment back in California while our home in Idaho was being built. A moving company took 95% of our stuff and stored it in Las Vegas. I kept all my primers and propellants and stored them in a closet in the apartment. The closet was just inside – one wall was opposite the outside environment and I’m sure it did get a little warmer in there than the rest of the apartment, but nothing too serious – or so I thought. I haven’t checked any of my other powders yet. I’m hoping this is just a “one off” sort of thing; or maybe the flash suppressant found in Silhouette played a role. It would sure suck if I lost all my powder (about 30 Lbs).

Hard telling about the powder. Sounds like static stick but then there is the mud aspect that would need a picture please.

Smell being weak is not a given, smelling wrong is but you should also have discoloration.

I have stuck a number of 9mm rounds but caught it (early back to reloading and had not got myself to look at each case so just the primer. That will put a bullet into the barrel on a pistol.

Rifle? At least not 30 cal.

Back in the 70s when I had that horrid Lee Hammer them into submission reloading tool I missed one fill in a 44 Ruger Magnum. Busy shooting at a TV, I am pretty sure I had a failed one and hauled back and fired again.

Shot went off fine, not barrel bulge, forget is I hit the TV. Phew. Lesson learned.

Ruger was not the greatest shooter (hated the safety trigger bar as it needed an adjustment as you had to almost jerk it to get it up into the engagement area before the hammer fell. Still was hell for stout and had fun with it until I sold it and got a S&W 44 and then went onto a 41 SW magnum which I liked best of all. Not quite a Python but danged good.

Smell being weak is not a given, smelling wrong is but you should also have discoloration.

I resmelled (is that a word?? :p). It is definitely off. Kind of a sharp off-putting smell. Not strong, but not the usual - what I call - "fragrant but chemical" smell. When I did a side-by-side smell with my HP-38, and then BE-86 (also flash suppressed) and there's no comparison whatsoever.

I also smelled my Trail Boss and N-310. Neither of those have a strong smell (Trail Boss is an almost empty jug; and the N-310 is a single-based propellant, so it may be apples n oranges.); however, neither smell "off."

As for discoloration, I don't have any "good" Silhouette to compare against. But it's slightly greenish and shiny looking. In the hand (I poured it into my hand only because I knew it's toast anyway) it feels kind of oily, clumps up a little, and definitely leaves a residue on the hand when I poured it back (that could be normal, as I've never poured gun powder into my hand before).

BTW, I checked my records, the last time this jug was opened was 6/29/19 (last time used). I purchased it on 2/28/19; and if I'm reading the lot # (0405172303) correctly, it was produced in April 2017.

My guess would be moisture. You might try throwing a 40g silica gel tin in with the powder for a bit and see if it gets less clumpy and more powdery.

I use the mtm plastic ammo crates. They are thin and wont hold pressure. Put my powder bottles in the crates with a silica gel pack. Minimizes over drying the powder but acts as a buffer to the humidity in the house.

You might try throwing a 40g silica gel tin in with the powder . . .

That might be a good idea, but I have already written off the propellant. It'll become lawn fertilizer once I get a lawn :p.

As for moisture, I lived in the Sacramento central valley. It's a very dry environment. I now live in Twin Falls and it's an even drier environment :p. I don't see how moisture could have been an issue - especially considering that I firmly secure the lids of my containers. I can't imagine there being any gas exchange to speak of.

BTW, I threw the remaining 75 rounds into the dumpster at the range. I'm not pulling 75 bullets. My only hesitation was the loss of 75 primers. But that still wasn't enough to justify my time.

I use a lot of Silhouette in 9mm and 45acp. It has one quirk, a negative temperature coefficient, otherwise a good mid-range powder.
I have no idea how a double base spherical powder goes bad like that, but my feeling is that it must be due to high storage temperature.
Silhouette wouldn't be my first choice for a low pressure round like 38spl - I would use something faster.

Silhouette wouldn't be my first choice for a low pressure round like 38spl - I would use something faster.

I agree.

Normally, I do use faster propellants - especially with 125's (as opposed to 158's). My +P 125 JHP uses AA#2 for instance. This was a one-off sort of thing. At the time I loaded this ammo, my focus was more on using "expendable" components than on good performing ammunition.

Back