Where's the "Shroud"?

twoblink

On a revolver, what is considered the "shroud"? Sorry for such a newbie question, I'm new to the wheel gun world...

Thanks..
Albert

Not all revolvers have a hammer shroud

Some revolvers have frames which surround the hammer, or side plates that attach to the frame to serve the same function. This renders the hammer "snag-free" so it can be drawn easily, or even fired, from a pocket. Sometimes the shroud is open at the top to allow the hammer to be cocked for single action.

649.jpg

Regards.

How many "Shrouds" are there? I know only of the one in Turin..

Please someone help me understand, and stop the confusion.

I thought the Shroud was the part that covered the ejection rod.

Then someone told me it's the part that covers part of the hammer...

Then someone tells me it's the cloth Jesus was wrapped in...

Albert

Unless Jesus packed heat...

...there are only two "shrouds" that have anything to do with wheelguns.

1) The Barrel/Ejector Rod Shroud: Comprises metal around barrel, barrel underlug, and metal around ejector rod. Most often heard when someone mentions an old revolver, like a Colt Official Police or something, as having "an unshrouded ejector rod".

2) The Hammer Shroud: Part of the frame on some *&* J-frames or a screw-on attachment on some Colt Detective Specials, this bit protects the hammer from snagging on pockets and such, but unlike the humpbacked "Centennial" 'hammerless' (really enclosed hammer) guns, one can still thumb-cock the hammer for single action shooting since it can be accessed through a slot in the hammer shroud.

HTH. :)

And many off the light weight S&Ws have alloy around the steel barrel.

Back