Where to mount my sling on my Win 94 lever gun?

Hello,

I bought a sling mount kit for my Winchester 94 Trapper at Wal Mart. It is a quick release mount kit made by Micheals of Oregon.

I have the front part mounted, as it just vise-grips to the magazine tube. (The instructions said to place it as far back toward the trigger as possible, so I did).

I am just wondering where I should drill and screw in the rear mount?
I can only do this once, and I really have no idea where to put it? How far forward from the butt of the stock?

Thanks!

Ps- I usually carry with the muzzle down on my left shoulder ("African carry"?), and to shoulder my gun, I do it textbook style, grabbing the forestock with my left hand and bring it around and up to my right shoulder, usually using the sling for tight resistance around my left elbow.

The average of various rifles of mine seems to be about 2 3/4" from the toe.

A better question is not "where" you plan to install the swivel, but "how". I've been putting off putting a sling on my Trapper because you only get 1 chance. Brownell's sells a drilling jig, a little saddle with a tube on it to guide the drill bit. Let me know how you fare.

This is best done as a two-person job unless you have done a lot or have a support rig. Set the buttstock, bottom up, in a padded vice on the drill press table, and keep the barrel elevated so the bottom of the stock is horizontal. The drill goes straight into the bottom of the stock. For side-to-side, eyeball it twice, then eyeball it a dozen more times. Line up the buttplate screws to 90 degrees with a bubble level to keep the vertical line.

2 3/4 from the toe sounds about right.

Jim

Back