Where to look for markings...

nemesiss45

I have 3 Italian black powder revolvers that I got from my father. I have been trying to identify them, but I cannot seem to find a makers mark.

1 is a 1848 dragoon (I believe) not sure what model.

1 is an 1851 navy

1 is an 1858 Remington

I could be wrong about these, but these are my best guess from looking at examples online.

all the guns have the Italian proof marks and date codes.

the dragoon has nothing else I could find.

the 1851 navy has a mark on the underside of the frame ahead of the brass trigger guard directly adjacent to the proof marks that looks like a Sierpinski triangle (triangle inside a triangle) but that is the only mark I found that I couldn't identify.

the 1851 Remington has "s. marco" on the left side below the cylinder, but I couldn't match that to a company (maybe I am searching the wrong sites)

any advise on where to look for makers marks be appreciated. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to post.

S. Marco is likely Armi San Marco, an Italian maker now defunct.
I have one of their SAA copies and it is ok.

I can't find anything on the triangle mark.

Here is the triangle marking I mentioned, next to the AU date mark. looks like a faint proof mark between the two

45ed6b8a4f84915871233dededf5a2b4.jpg

The pic shows a date code AU which makes it a 1989 manufacture and I believe the faint "triangle" mark is the older ASM logo but not too sure on that one , somebody here knows for sure ..

The triangle does look like an ASM(Armi san Marco)logo.

The S. Marco is ASM and the Dragoon could either be Uberti or ASM as I think they were the only ones making those.

They are probably all ASMs. You can still get parts for them at Deer Creek Products. They went out of business, likely due to poor quality control. Some guns run great, others are basket cases. I like mine.

They went out of business, likely due to poor quality control. Some guns run great, others are basket cases.

They all looked good. Wood to metal fit was good and overall finish was good but some were plagued by soft internal parts that wore out fast. Others would run forever.

I rechecked the guns, and I had the markings on the dragoon mixed up, it is the one with the s.marco, so that is settled.

The last gun is the one I am still not sure about. It's got an overlapping PR and EIE Italy on the base of the grip. I did a quick search, but I'll be searching a lite more.

61d82b8d71cdff2a709c00f1eefa13ba.jpg
9dcb7f69552aa991cd8f04c27bc3479d.jpg
e746508f314fd417dfe1324d4be4d77d.jpg
e128f82e4a08cf7dae8fdf650b8e12e8.jpg

I don't think anybody knows for sure but the most likely candidate for the PR is Pierino Ruschetta. I have a brass Remington made by them and it's a POS.

thanks. that is about the closest degree of certainty I could find as well. good thing its my least favorite of the bunch.... still a pretty gun though, I like the look of the brass frame.

Back