where to hunt

biganimal

I live in upstate NY and want to go hunt boar....where can I do this and not feel like a canned hunt with tame animals? would like to limit my driving time to 12 hours from syracuse ny. any help would be appreciated

There are some places in W.Virginia, Tennessee and Virginia and N Carolina. I can't think of any places much closer that guide hunts for hogs. Those are all at the extreme range you specified (takes me 9 hours to get from central Virginia to Rochester,NY, about the same distance to Syracuse). Closer to your home, the only place I can think of is a game farm in Tioga County,PA. I can find the name if you're interested. That may be along the "canned hunt" lines though. Get an Outdoor Life or similar magazine and check the back for listings of outfitters who specialize injavelina or boar hunting in the Southeast. Alternatively, go to a hunting show and talk to some outfitters.

It's a little out of your range but the Lightsey Cattle Co. has a great set of hunts. Here is the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/lightseycc/

You could always fly into Orlando and rent a car for the drive to Lake Wales (about an hour south). Some friends from PA and I do it every year. All fair chase.

Vince

Back