Where to Hog Hunt???

I am looking for somewhere to hog hunt. any one have any recommended places or outfitters and are reasonably priced. I prefer a fair chase type hunt not some enclosed game farm. Would like to find a type of hunt that had some other tags that I could also fill while on the hunt. I'm looking for some good size hogs really just something with some long tusks that would make for a good wall mount.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian in Kentucky.

If you are a smooth talker, you may be able to walk into a rural coffee shop at about 6:30 am and offer to do some free varmint extermination. If you get a "yes", follow the rules very carefully and offer whatever you take (edible or "cape"able) to the land owner (do not wear out your welcome.) That's what us city folk call a "symbiotic" relationship. The country boys call that "a fair deal."

Come down here to Podunk Texas out in our south field. I sit way weay back and pick them off like cows.

:) I would like to come and pick off a few hogs. What do you say?

Here is a hog i killed a while back. Shot with my armalite at about 250 yards. Nailed it in the side of the head. Weighed in at about 400 pounds. I know its kinda hard to see. I should have got a pick of the coyote i nailed at 650 yards, but a few people got grossed out by pics of headshots i have done before. I.E. the thread SMASHED HEAD SYNDROME
OH, the contraption on the truck is my TURRET or "HOG GETTER" as i call it. Made out of a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood on a welded steel frame. Around the edge is a couple of 2x4s for stiffness and keeping crap , (brass) from rolling off onto the ground. Works for those really really long shoots on really dumb game. Lay up there with your bipoded rifle and put them to bed from 500 yards or so. The eye hooks on the back above the tailgate are great for lifting heavy game with a come along or ratchet straps, and for hanging up for gutting / skinning.Its my redneck contraption of the week.

Attachments

• 127_2710_1_2.JPG
    127_2710_1_2.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Tulsa paper, last week had a full page article, about hogs coming close to the Tulsa area. They must be getting tired of the country living here, and have decided to take up city living.
Since most of the voting majority comes from OKC and Tulsa, maybe having hogs in the department stores, will change some of the votes, on issues pretaining to hunting in Oklahoma. It might get rid of some of the restrictions on them.

Depends on how you want to hunt um. Many hunting reserves offer hog hunts here in alabama, mississippi and georgia. Some are enclosed reserves with air conditioned shooting houses and some are public land with dogs. With the dogs you have the option of taking the hog alive, with a knife or a gun and is a lot more exciting, guaranteed.

I like to shoot them from about 500 yards with a 300 mag. I use soured deer corn to bring them in. I find that a well placed shot (ear, )will keep your targets from squealling when you hit them, (no squealing, they wont run off)and the noise from 500 yards doesnt bother them much, i usually get into about 10 at a time like this. I have run out of ammo a time or two. I am ashamed. sorry guys, . How dare me runout of ammo? I usually carry a box with me. OH! piglets wont run off from their dead mom either. They work great in a pit whole. ( well< gut them first)

PAboarbestphoto.jpg

This hunt took place in Pennsylvania at a placed named Tioga Wild Boar Preserve. This is a high fence hunting preserve located near the NY border in steep country. Although fenced, these boars are not tame at all. This boar weighed in about 150 lbs. I had a great time.
Jack

Back