Where to go for engraving?

groverdill

Hey guys. New shooter here. I've always liked the look of handguns (mainly I see it on revolvers) that have engraving or etching. It really makes the gun stand out and gives it some style, as long as it's not overdone. My question is, where does one go to get a gun engraved? I would assume my local "Things Remembered" in the mall would not be a good choice.:D Is this something my lgs would do if they have gunsmithing services? Is it something I could order from the manufacturer? I searched the forum on the topic, and I did get some amazing pictorial results (and opinions, not all good), but I didn't find info on where to get engraving/etching/scrollwork done. Anyone? Thanks.

Mike

My question is, where does one go to get a gun engraved?
The short answer is, If you have to ask, you cannot afford it.
Consider how many hours an engraver will have to sit over your gun to do the engraving. Then consider how many dollars per hour would be a fair price to do the engraving. Engraving has always been the realm of the moderately wealthy to the outright wealthy. In other words, engraving is VERY expensive and the guns that are liberally engraved are safe queens thereafter.
If you are still interested in having a gun engraved, contact: Rex Pedersen, Ludington, MI 49431 He is a master engraver, teaches engraving, has had his work featured in several gun magazines. I knew him since he was about 10 years old. He should be close to retirement about now.
An alternative to engraving is LASER "engraving", which is CNC LASER burning in decorative patterns, available from S&W. I had it done to a new stainless steel matt finish gun and it did dress it up somewhat...but I do not think it would look good on anything except matt stainless steel. It cost $85 about 12-15 years ago.

The short answer is, If you have to ask, you cannot afford it.
That short answer is just wrong. I have to disagree entirely. Folks who would like an engraved firearm but believe this are really missing out. Even for those who may be independently wealthy, there are lots of questions to be asked and answered. The short answer is that there is no short answer and I would make no assumptions about anyone's financial capability or intent. ;)

In reality, quality engraving is not cheap but can be had for probably a lot less than most would think. Considering that virtually any new firearm will cost you at least $500, it should be relatively accessible to anyone who wants it. Two I can recommend are Michael Gouse and Jim Downing. Both do excellent work and it is affordable. I sent a sixgun to Gouse last week and for under $800, it will receive 75% coverage in American scroll in the Helfricht style. Less coverage on smaller guns will be less than half to a third of that.

http://www.gousefreelancefirearmsengraving.com/

http://www.thegunengraver.com/

Unlike a yacht, you can buy partial engraving. A few scrolls on a revolver cylinder and barrel won't cost a fortune and can look good. But no lie, a full blown engraving, gold inlay, and the like will be darned expensive. (The prices I knew are long outdated, so I will let you contact the engravers mentioned by others.)

But please don't make the mistake of taking a gun to the local shops who do sports trophies and the like. The best you can hope for is if they don't take the job; it will almost certainly be worse if they do. You can only engrave a gun once; if it is a bad job, you can only make it worse by trying to do it over.

So get a top-of-line engraver, and pay what he wants.

(With a bit of a red face, I will confess that I once tried engraving, fortunately on a metal plate, not a gun. I concluded that I was not "cut out" for that work. I could cut the metal OK, but an engraver has to be first an artist, and that I am not.)

P.S. and a small tip. On an S&W revolver, good gun engravers know all about the "drag line" on the cylinder and leave that ring area unengraved. Poor gun engravers don't know or don't care and the cylinder stop mars the engraving.

Jim

I have had two pistols engraved by Michael Gouse of Montana (www.mtart.com). The work is nicely done and I think quite handsome. The engraving is a little shallow compared to most factory work I have seen but looks nice. About 9 years ago I paid $500 to have the M10 engraved and 2 years he charged me $900 on the Colt. The first one came back in about 5 months and the turn around time on the 1911 was barely a month. I think he may not be real busy in this bad economy.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Before you send a gun off for engraving, ask the engraver for good (8x10) pictures of samples of his work, especially of work done on a gun like yours. That way, you can decide if that is what you want, and also make suggestions. Some engravers, I am told, have one style and won't alter it, but others are more than happy to take direction from the customer. Also, think ahead. A gun engraved with the name and picture of your current girlfriend might not look so good after the breakup.

Jim

I met an engraver at the Ventura gun show a while back as a vendor. He had some sample work largely on low-end folding knife handles, a tinny derringer revolver and on the slide of a 1911. The work done on the knives were of his early days engraving. All the material engraved appeared to be stainless and the work very good/excellent. He’s located in the jewelry mart of downtown Los Angeles. I believe this mart is the largest in the US.

Comparatively, the engraving, factory original, on my Japanese made Winchester Pigeon o/u shotgun is fair/good. I doubt it’s anywhere near as good as a European made Beretta SO5 o/u.

If you’re confident in your firearm disassembly/assembly, needed processes and are sure of what you want, going directly to the engraver sounds like a good avenue. Otherwise, I feel, its best to channel it thru a gunsmith. Finding such a gunsmith in today’s market will probably be a feat in itself.

Example of going direct is when I seek parts for my watches from a supply house. This watch repair business is termed horology or just watch repair. Virtually no one makes a watch from scratch today. My cost and what I do to install a part conflicts with the jeweler or watch repairperson. The supply houses, generally, cater to businesses and hobbyist alike.

I doubt it’s anywhere near as good as a European made Beretta SO5 o/u.

You'd be surorised how many high end guns use machine or laser engraving - it might be finally chased by hand, but unless you are getting Pedretti or Fracassi, a lot of lower engravings - while nice, are not hand done

And then there is Gravermeister.

I once watched one the S&W factory engravers work at a gun show. Incredibly, he carved that steel beautifully, all the while carrying on a couple of conversations, discussing the work, and having lunch! I never thought the term "virtuoso performance" could be ascribed to engraving.

Jim

The Gravermeister, N Graver, and other pneumatic or rotary-powered engraving is still considered hand engraving because chisels (gravers) are used, and the gravers are controlled by hand.

Back