Where to get Target Knobs?

Jamie Young

Can you get Target Knobs for any kind of scope? I have two rifles with two scopes that I like but I was told I had to send them back to Leupold to have the target knobs installed. Somebody else told me I can buy them at Cabela's but I don't see them?

SodaPop,

Everyone is referring to the Stoney Point Screw on knobs for Leupold, Burrus, Tasco and Simmons scopes with coin adjustment slots. These knobs screw on where the dust caps would normally go, and are really precise.

The problem lies in the scope internals. Coin slot adjustable scopes are not made to the same standards of repeatability as target knob or mil-knob scopes, and eventually you're going to have a failure.

If you have a Leupold, send it to Dick Thomas at Premier Reticles; costs alittle more than Stoney Point but when Premeir does the conversion you get it done right the first time.

Just my dos centavos.

SodaPop, I agree w/ Michael. I have a Stoney Point knob on the evelvation adjustment of a 12x Leupold Varmint scope atop a Sako 6mm PPC and it works fine for my use. But if you want percision, I think Michael is right on. As far as cost, sorry but I have no idea.

The only difference in the internals of "target" scopes and any other scopes is that "target" scopes typically, but not always, have 1/8 m.o.a. adjustments, and typical hunting scopes have 1/4 m.o.a. adjustments.

I use the Stoney Point target knobs on a Burris Signature 8-32X44mm varmint scope. Scope didn't come with target knobs, but Burris offered to put 'em on for $60. They charged me the $60, but shipped the scope back to me without the target knobs. The aforementioned Burris scope came equipped with 1/8 m.o.a. adjustments, and the Stoney Point knobs work great. I paid $42 for mine at Midway.

Before you just assume that target scopes have "better" internals than hunting scopes, I'd suggest that you contact Leupold or Burris and ask that question of those guys.

Soda Pop,

Premier can do the Leupold for under $150.00 if memory serves, with quick turnaround.

Walt,

No assumption here my friend. Got the information from Dick Thomas of Premier. If I'm remembering this correctly it's not so much cheap internals on hunting scopes, but in the wearable parts on the coin adjustable units, not really made to be constantly adjusted like the target/tactical units.
My assupmtion here would be better/different ball detent setup to take the additional wear from constant adjustment.
Dick could tell ya for sure.

Best to all,

Mike :)

Mike: Dick might be right. If anybody ought to know, he ought to know. At any rate, all my scopes are guaranteed forever. If there's a problem, I'll ship 'em back. Seems to me that Burris's $60 would be superior to Dick's $150. That's not for using coin-type turrets; that's for replacing coin-type with target turrets.

Walt,

Yeah the Burris price is darn sweet. I think the price from Premier was to put M1 style knows on the scope. Doing the price from memory so I could have erred on the high side of things.

Back