Where should I apply for a permit?

NCSU-Chris

Inactive
Hey,
I am currently at student at NC State (4th Year) and was looking to pick up a gun just to go to the range with. My question is should I apply for a permit where I go to school and where the firearm will be or where my parents live. I still go back and forth between the two a good bit during the summer and am only renting where I go to school. I am registered as a voter where my parents live if that makes any difference.

For those curious I have believe I am set on getting a Ruger Mark III (I like the look of the Hunter). I plan on doing a CC class sometime in the future as well of course no real need to until I pick up a gun one would actually CC.

Thanks,
Chris

Most states do not requite a permit to purchase or to own a handgun. You would need a permit to carry the weapon concealed on your person.

If you buy it in NC, you will have to get a permit to purchase from you local Sheriff's office (you must go in person, and usually during weekday business hours). But, you do not need a permit otherwise, except if you intend to concealed carry it. There is no registration either in NC (as with most states) unless you live in Durham Co. (and it seems unclear whether they actually enforce their registration excemption).

Note that you must be a resident of the state you buy the gun in, and that will be determined (for purposes of the Federal background check) by the address on your photo id. Where is your driver's license from? That will pretty much determine where you have to buy.

If your license is from another state and you buy the weapon there, you can certainly bring it with you to NC to shoot. Just travel with the gun locked in the trunk and any ammo in a separate part of the car.

There are lots of options for Concealed Carry. And there is no end to the debate on caliber, manufacturing quality, safety... That's the primary drive behind these boards is to expound upon these "differences" in guns. The only suggestion's I offer are:

1 - Get at least a 9mm. For my own reasons I wrote off the .380 and smaller early on in my search for a "perfect" CC handgun.

2 - Pick something that you will actually carry, train with, and become proficient in. That means head to a range, spend the 50$ to rent a couple hand guns. Call the range in advance and find out if they have any trainers that would be willing to let you "test shoot" several different styles and calibers of firearms.

3 - Find someone you trust who has experience and will give you some pointers. There are some brands of firearms that people online will swear up and down by, but from experience aren't worth purchasing.

My personal favorites are the Springfield XD and Glock lines of pistols. But Kahr, and Sig are also pistols I've tried and really like(but couldn't afford the price tag on them) You can typically get either a Springfield XD or Glock Subcompact in the mid to high 400$ range.

And finally you were looking for a "plinking" gun. One of the often overlooked guns is the CZ-82. They were manufactured all over Europe and Russia and were a standard sidearm for many countries, and are available for very cheap prices due to the surplus on them. Expect to pay around 180$ to 220$ for one that functions. It fires the 9x18mm cartridge, which is easy to find, cheap, and is just a good "plinking" round. J&G Sales, AIM Surplus, and Classic Arms(in Charlotte) typically have them in stock ready to ship.

I forgot to add, to get a CCL in N.C. you must complete a state approved concealed carry class, and you must show proof of N.C. permanent residency (whatever that actually entails? maybe your lease would be good enough, or some utility bills?). There is a range in Wake Co. owned by the county government that offers the classes (the range is operated by a private contractor).

It would be reasonable to believe that you would need to apply for a permit in the state you have legal residency in. If oyu have legal residency in NC, and need a permit, call the sheriffs office.

If you dont have legal residency in NC, it might be a good idea just to rent a gun at a local range. Since you only have 1 year left at school, that might be the best decision.

It will also allow you to try different types of pistols so you can make a good choice of which one you want to buy.

-George

gwnorth said:
If your license is from another state and you buy the weapon there, you can certainly bring it with you to NC to shoot. Just travel with the gun locked in the trunk and any ammo in a separate part of the car.

I am really curious as to which statute requires the bolded part above? If there is a statute that requires it, would the gun in the trunk and the ammo in the glovebox be OK?

I am really curious as to which statute requires the bolded part above? If there is a statute that requires it, would the gun in the trunk and the ammo in the glovebox be OK?

If you're driving through somewhere like Illinois which is currently very anti-gunrights, or you are driving without a CCW permit, this is the prefered method of transportation. And yes, ammo in the glove box and gun in the trunk is fine. They just really want to be sure that the weapon is "not readily accessible to fire".

If you are a student, you may have to go to your University Police Department to get clearance from them and be sure you are in good standing sometime durring the application process. So, be sure that's all in order once you start as well. Personally, I'd just go to the sherrif's office and ask them. No harm in that at all, and you'll probably get a difinitive answer.

~LT

Hey,
I am currently at student at NC State (4th Year) and was looking to pick up a gun just to go to the range with. My question is should I apply for a permit where I go to school and where the firearm will be or where my parents live. I still go back and forth between the two a good bit during the summer and am only renting where I go to school. I am registered as a voter where my parents live if that makes any difference.

For those curious I have believe I am set on getting a Ruger Mark III (I like the look of the Hunter). I plan on doing a CC class sometime in the future as well of course no real need to until I pick up a gun one would actually CC.

Thanks,
Chris

What is the address on your driver license? If its where your parents live, then you need to go to the sheriff's office in that county (assuming its in NC) and apply for a purchase permit (get more than one if you can, they are good for five years). If your driver license has your current address at school, then go to the Wake Co. Sheriff's Office (assuming you live in Wake Co.) and apply there.

Another option, if your address on your DL is your parents house, is to change your address with DMV to your school address (you can do that online) and then apply for the permit in Wake County. Wake County's permit process is very straight forward and it might be easier to get one in Wake than where you are from. Or, it might not, it just depends on what county you would be applying in.

Originally Posted by gwnorth

In most states (as far as I know), if transporting a gun without a CCL, it is either required, or highly recommended that the weapons and ammo be secured in such a manner that both cannot be gotten to in one move. That usually gets translated to mean, guns in the trunk and ammo in the cabin. So yes, your way works fine.

The thing that is likely to get you in trouble would be having the gun, albeit unloaded, but in a range bag with ammo in the same bag, behind the front seat.

LordTio3 said:
If you're driving through somewhere like Illinois which is currently very anti-gunrights, or you are driving without a CCW permit, this is the prefered method of transportation. And yes, ammo in the glove box and gun in the trunk is fine. They just really want to be sure that the weapon is "not readily accessible to fire".
~LT

gwnorth said:
In most states (as far as I know), if transporting a gun without a CCL, it is either required, or highly recommended that the weapons and ammo be secured in such a manner that both cannot be gotten to in one move. That usually gets translated to mean, guns in the trunk and ammo in the cabin. So yes, your way works fine.

Would it not be better to have Federal statute protection on your side? If guns and ammo are carried as you state is "preferred" with the gun in the trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment, you have violated the requirements of 18 USC 926a which offers protection against state laws while traveling, but ONLY IF the requirements of 18 USC 926a are met.

Unloaded gun AND ammo locked in the trunk together meets the requirements of 18 USC 926a. Unloaded gun in the trunk and ammo in the passenger compartment is in violation of the requirements of 18 USC 926a if you desire to have it's protection.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/718/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Given the choice, I would choose to comply with Federal law and lock the gun AND the ammo in the trunk or, without a trunk, have the unloaded gun AND the ammo in a locked container together - other than the glovebox or console.

What is the address on your driver license? If its where your parents live, then you need to go to the sheriff's office in that county (assuming its in NC) and apply for a purchase permit (get more than one if you can, they are good for five years). If your driver license has your current address at school, then go to the Wake Co. Sheriff's Office (assuming you live in Wake Co.) and apply there.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. My drivers license has my parents address in Catawba County so I will try and go by and fill out the paperwork before I head back to Raleigh. And I say parents address but I really still consider it home until I am out of school and have a job.

As far as the CC classes go I have looked at a few in Raleigh and even in Charlotte that I might try and get in to. I just want to have the gun I am going to CC with so I can use it during the class. I just wish you could carry on NC State's campus. Nothing is funner than having a lab end at 11:45pm and having to walk 20 minutes to my car on a street where many people have been mugged.

gwnorth said:
In most states (as far as I know), if transporting a gun without a CCL, it is either required, or highly recommended that the weapons and ammo be secured in such a manner that both cannot be gotten to in one move. That usually gets translated to mean, guns in the trunk and ammo in the cabin. So yes, your way works fine
Once again, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. The requirement to transport with the firearm unloaded and any ammunition in a separate container (not in a separate part of the vehicle) comes from the Federal FOPA, cited by NavyLT above. While that mode of transportation may also work within some states, it is NOT valid in all states. In my current state of residence, as an example, it is not legal to transport a handgun anywhere outside of your home except to a gunsmith for repair, to your home from the store where you bought it, or to a store to sell it, unless you have a handgun carry license. There is NO legal way to transport a handgun to a shooting range in my state if you don't have a carry permit. Period. Some even interpret the law here to say that you can't even carry a handgun outside of the house on your own property without a carry permit.

Do not rely on the Internet for answers to legal questions. research the law in your jurisdiction, and be sure you understand it. There are so many laws in effect that nobody on the Internet who doesn't live in your state, countty and municipality can hope to give you an accurate answer.

It has already been covered about going to the Sheriff's Office in the county that you live in, but what hasn't been mentioned is that if you aren't a North Carolina resident you will not be able to buy a handgun in this state. You would have to be a resident and be a citizen of this state. I could be wrong but the best way to find out is go to the county's Sheriff's Office.

Just to clear up a few things...

the OP is a resident of N.C. He just goes to college in a different county of N.C. than where he/his parents live.

In N.C. unless you have a CWP you must get a permit from the sherrif to purchase a handgun... doesn't matter if it is from an FFL or a private sale. This is a left over from the old Jim Crowe laws to keep blacks from buying handguns.

the MK-III is a great gun to practice and learn with, and even qualify with, but not really what you want to carry.... in my humble opinion.

Back