Where is this .50 BMG round from?

SC4006

Not sure exactly if this is the right forum, but I'd assume questions about ammo can be asked here.

You see, I am an avid firearms enthusiast, and I have a cartridge collection consisting of pistol and rifle ammunition. A few years ago I went to my local gun shop and stated that I have a small ammo collection for fun and that I wanted to add a .50 BMG to the collection. Sure enough they had a random one laying around so they just gave it to me for free.

Now I am just curious as to what the headstamp on the round means exactly, and where it came from.

Here's a picture of the headstamp:
001.JPG

Here's a picture of it standing up. (I don't think that will help identify it but whatever):
002.JPG

Igman Zavod Konjiac Yugoslavia

(Igman Factory, Konjiac Yugoslavia)

Wow cool thanks for that info, wouldn't have thought Yugoslavia.

Is that bullet fully seated? Or is the round even .50 BMG? It just looks odd to me.

Jim

Yep it appears to be fully seated. The bullet has a cannelure, and its in the right place. Is it possible it could be a 12.7x108 round? I know those are similar looking.

Edit: it's also worth noting that I think my camera maybe distorted the way it looks a little bit, in person the actual bullet is shorter than it looks in the picture.

Last edited:
The Russian 50 is 12.7x108, and Yugoslavia loaded plenty of those, but they're usually marked "12.7". Have you got a magnet, and can you see if the bullet is made with alead core or a steel core?

So I just measured the case, and its just under 10 cm, so its definitely not a 12.7x108. I put a magnet to the bullet as well, and it did not attract it so it appears to be lead core.

The case should be about 3.90" and the over all length should be 5.45". Strange that the bullet doesn't have a steel core, stuff I had (earlier) was steel core.

It's good brass for reloading, wish they would import it.

Back