Where is the Serial Number? Win Mod 70 30-06

garygreeno

Inactive
Am attempting to value my gun collection.

Where do I find the serial number for my Winchester Model 79 .30 Gov't '06 with a "Proof Steel" barrel and a 4X Bushnell Scope?

Gary

Yup, the serial number should be located on the right side of the receiver just forward of the loading/ejection port.

All pre-64 Model 70s had the serial number in a second location when they left the factory: hand etched on the bottom of the bolt. The true test for an all-original: matching numbers on the barrel and bolt.

All of the post 64 models I’ve owned have had just the last 4 digits of the serial number engraved on the bolt. Also barrel is stamped “Model 70 30-06 SPRG”. Memphis Jim is right, it’s something to look for so you don’t get one made from pieces and parts.

If the caliber marking is "30 GOVERNMENT" then indeed it is a rifle built before 1952. It just isnt the age, it is all about condition and originality. If you could post a few photos I could possibly help you, as I have collected and studied this model for 45 years.

Found the serial Number, 30-06 was built in 1937

Thanks Gentlemen for your time and guidance.

The serial number is 5605, built in 1937. Bolt I believe is hand engraved with the same number, though it is very faint.

The stock is factory checkered walnut with the marks of years of hunting by my dad.

Sorry, I don't have time for a photograph.

Once again, Thank you.

Back