Where is that TFL primer when I need it?

Designed by Simonov, the SKS is a fixed magazine semiautomatic rifle chambered for the intermediate 7.62 x 39 mm cartridge. Not surprisingly, the SKS was produced by virtually all satellites of the Soviet Union and Communist China. Introduced around 1945, while it was superceded by the AK-47, it is still used by secondary units (guard, militia) today.

The FN-FAL was perhaps the most popular semi automatic rifle. Developed by Saive (a protege of John Browning) at Fabrique Nationale of Belgium, it was not a true assault rifle in the strict sense as it was chambered for the full power 7.62 x 51 Nato cartridge. Noted for its ergnomic qualities, it was barely edged out for adoption in this country by the T44 (M14).

For images of either rifles, click on The Firing Line's photo image section at the top of the page. Enjoy.

SKS stands for (transliteration) Samozaryadnaya Karabina Simonova, or Self-loading carbine Simonov. Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov was one of the old Soviet Union's foremost arms designers. The rifle was adopted by the USSR in 1945, and was made both there and in China.

There are several arms factories in different countries which use the initials "FN", standing roughly for National Factory. The best known FN is the Belgian arms manufacturer, Fabrique Nationale d'Armes d'Guerre or National Factory of War Arms, in Leige and Herstal, Belgium.

FN was the developer of the Fusil Automatique Leger or Light Automatic Rifle, commonly called the FAL or FN-FAL. FALs are or have been the standard service rifle of a number of countries, including most of the British commonwealth, and were manufactured in several countries. Several semi-auto only versions are available on the U.S. market.

Jim

Pictures of both of these rifles can be found in the little firearm photos link section at the top of the page.

An SKS is a 7.62x39 rifle developed in Russia and used by the communist countries. Many of these were made and imported into the U.S. from China by Norinco, some were imported from Russia, and currently some Romanian ones are being imported and can be had for about $150. These pretty much escaped the "assualt weapons" ban because they had a fixed 10 rd mag (some were modified to accept AK mags, also some 20-30 rd mags that were detachable but fit the standard fixed mag attachment were manufactured here), no pistol grip stock, and no flashider, bolted on folding mount bayonet. The Chinese guns were cheap, and fun shooting, for quite a while you could get one for around $100 or less, fairly accurate-no tackdriver but around 4", ammo was dirt cheap, it went up some, now it is around $100 for a 1000. They ammo ballistically is about the same as a .30-30, about the same trajectory and power but using a lighter bullet.

The Belgian developed FN FAL (Fabrique Nationale Fusil Automatique Leger) is a 7.62 NATO (.308) rifle. It has been used by something like 90 countries, and was even tested by the U.S., but we went with our own design, the M14. The FAL is a full power accurate, easy to maintain battle rifle. None are being imported (banned because of all of the evil features, detachable 20 rd mag, pistol grip, flashider), but many are being assembled here and can be had for anywhere from just over $500 for a Century gun to $1800 for one by DSA. Most currently available are built from parts kits from the Austrian STG-58. Assembling them from kits seems to have gotten almost as popular as building AR's.

HTH
bergie

WOW!!! Did that question get answered by several people at once!!!
I must be the slowest typist :o there were no other answers when I started composing.

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited May 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited May 14, 2000).]

4V50 Gary and Jim Keenan,

WOW! Thanks. I have just read so much about these two terms here at TFL that I am beginning to develop an itch for a long arm or two.

I will continue to search the archives for advice on what to look for in purchasing these types of arms as well as ranges of quality and which manufacturers to purchase from.

Thanks again.

Steve

bergie, you must have been posting as I was replying. Thanks. Great info.

Oh, am I a dead give away, at the shows, as a novice if I carry around the pics and list of things to check ?

[This message has been edited by indyspc (edited May 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by indyspc (edited May 14, 2000).]

2 Very ends of the auto rifle spectrum!
The SKS is an auto rifle for THE PEOPLE... Cheap and plentiful. I have seen them for sale as low as $60! A good rifle for the bad guys to have as its ability is limited.
The FAL is IMHO the Best Battle Rifle in the world... It has served in the armies of over 90 countries including most NATO nations and most free word countries. It actually BEAT the M14 during trials but the M14 was selected for political reasons.
If the M14 was dropped and the FAL selected - we would not have the M16 today.
The FAL has a very interesting history. I suggest going to http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/ and down load all the files there for reading.
You will soon fall in love with the FAL - which is gaining popularity in the US at an alarming rate.
It makes a good companion for the 1911. :D

Just called a local shop and they want $300 dollars for an SKS. He says "Heck, I'd just spend a few extra bucks and get an AK". Guess I will pick up a SGN and wait for the show coming next month.

Thanks for the link George. I will study up and keep my eyes open.

Back