Where is all the Rem Oil?

Probably the supply of products has been disrupted due to the recent breakup and sale of Remington assets in bankruptcy court. Hopefully once the dust settles supplies will get back to normal.

Some years back...I heard on the grapevine that Rem Oil can get thick and gummy like WD 40 oil --- That's why I don't use either of them on my firearms.

RemOil works fins and not like WD-40; that said, until the maker of the actual product either starts producing it under new licence from Vista or through some other arrangement, it is gone for the time being.

Who cares? (sorry, I stopped using that too-thin crap).

I did, however, put out for a whole gallon of CLP recently. Used to buy it in the 16 oz containers but they seem to be discontinued. Way too expensive in the little 4 oz bottles.

That's depressing... It's been an old standby for me. Super thin, so it was nice to hose down plastic and metal guns after it's been raining.

I actually use remoil as a cleaner more than a lubricant. Bonus is I don’t have to use quite as much of my chosen lube after I’m done cleaning. But I suppose when my current can runs out I’ll switch to some kind of CLP.

I have a few of the tiny bottles here and there but I don't use them. Breakfree CLP seems fine. Isn't remoil mostly mineral oil with Teflon?

No, not discontinued. Amazon has it. eBay, too.

I only use it for quick wipe downs and cleaning at the range. The stuff evaporates rather quickly leaving an very thin film. It doesn't gum up, however. I stick with Hoppes for longer term lubrication.

Rem Oil, ok by me...

I've used it for the past (?) years and years and have had no issues, nor problems with the product. I'm glad I've got enough to not be "out" for a long time. The only rifles I don't use it on are my b.p.c.r. guns, as I have a different cleaning method for those. I live in the West, and it's a relatively dry climate where I live, so that alone helps a lot as to how guns "keep." Rem Oil works good for me. I use the liquid stuff on patches, not the spray or the wipes.

Amazon looks like they have some for sale (if you want to send Bezos your $$ for it; seems awful expensive), but a couple of reviewers think it's counterfeit stuff, and no good. Dunno, don't need it.

I thought this pretty good on the product:

www.survivalmag.net/rem-oil-review/

BTW, though I just re-upped my NRA dues while I pinched my nose, I don't care for the picture of the guy you MIGHT see when you open the site. He's got some "come clean" or "git" issues to address (AFAIC).

Even if 3:1 is not ideal for guns, it works for me. Any light grade sewing machine oil should work OK. If you let your guns sit for many years, yes something can gum up but generally 3:1 with regular use is all a gun needs.rc

Just get some sewing machine oil.

When I was a teen, my grandpa bought me a Stevens 87D semi auto 22 rifle. I used it for decades until it started jamming. It would stovepipe. So I retired it and every now and then I’d pull it out and try to fix it. New parts didn’t fix it, so back in the safe it went. So now I have new neighbors that have a 15 year old son. Great kid. I decided to give him that old 22, with the understanding that it would occasionally jam. Before I gave it to him, I stripped it down and cleaned it and then greased it well and used some of the new high end lube oil (I forget the name) on the bolt. Since then he’s run a couple hundred rounds through it with almost no jams. The new lubes must be amazing, and better than the sewing machine oil I mentioned earlier.

Mobile One 0W30

Yes.

For about 30 years i used Militec 1 gun oil. Stuff cost about $10 for a pint direct from Militec. Some time back the company stopped selling the stuff direct to customers. Now Militec 1 to is distributed through Midway. Brownell's and Qualification Targets and others who charge obscene prices.

So i went to Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is as good as or better than Militec 1. Maybe it's the same stuff.

I found it.
241deb337026553ba09a4a38e463f943.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Back