Where do you cast?

Nathan

I would like to start casting, but I'm not sure I have a decent place to do it. So where do you cast?

On my front porch is where I cast most of the time. If I am melting down wheel weights for ingots then I go into the shade in my front yard.

Currently... nowhere. :(

Previously... in my garage, with the overhead door and windows open. I usually had a box fan and the fans from 2 window-mount AC units running.
During times of decent weather (but not too warm), I would drag my work bench out into the driveway (with the box fan).

Smelting is always done outside. ...and got interesting, once, when the sky spontaneously started dropping 1/2" hail into 60 lbs of alloy on a warm, clear day. :eek: There wasn't much I could do, but stand back and watch the show until it stopped. I still have a coffee can full of that "confetti" around here somewhere.

For many years in the '60's and '70's on the kitchen gas range. In later years in the garage with electric pots. The Kitchen range had an exhaust fan...I wasn't poisoned and did not die.

In my garage right under the big door itself. Want to be as close as I can to the outside air. Box fan set up and blowing towards me from deep within the garage as possible. Reason: When I flux its smoke ends up filling the garage if I don't get a match to it as quick as I should have. So that box fan pushes that really smokey air out thru its big door past me. I don't spend a whole lot of time casing. Just enough tips to get by on for a short time. It doesn't take me all that much time to set up my equipment. Besides I rather be shoot'in than cast'in any day._;)

A little advice:
NEVER ALLOW KIDS IN YOUR AREA OR CAST NEAR A CHILDS PLAY AREA.

Winter, in my loading room, a spare bedroom, no ventilation. Summer, same place but two windows open and a fan on ME to keep me from sweating.

I sense a lot of unfounded fear about lead exposure in the above posts. I have my lead level tested every 2 years, the highest was @ 7.0.

Smoke won't kill you, lead fumes are only generated above 1200 degrees, not obtainable with our electric furnaces/pots. Most important is cleanliness. For your hands so you won't transfer lead into your mouth when eating. A thorough wash of your hands and face gets it off. Lead does NOT enter your body through unbroken skin.

Just enough tips to get by on for a short time. It doesn't take me all that much time to set up my equipment. Besides I rather be shoot'in than cast'in any day._

What the heck is a "tip"?:confused: (severely limited smilies. I would like to use the one on cast boolits that looks like someone yanking a chain).;) Call it what it is a bullet!

Snuffy, the big box fan is blowing on me - this is Arizona. In summer time, by the time the sun makes it all the way up, the rooster stopped crowing - he's cooked.:p
What I do use is protective gear, thick leather gloves, Kevlar arm sleeves, aprons and goggles. Hot lead cools very fast, but it still burns, and would probably do serious damage to an eye...as shown here on my goggles...

I sense a lot of unfounded fear about lead exposure in the above posts. I have my lead level tested every 2 years, the highest was @ 7.0.

Smoke won't kill you, lead fumes are only generated above 1200 degrees, not obtainable with our electric furnaces/pots. Most important is cleanliness. For your hands so you won't transfer lead into your mouth when eating. A thorough wash of your hands and face gets it off. Lead does NOT enter your body through unbroken skin.
I agree with Snuffy. In short, unless one eats lead based paint, one does not have to be overly concerned about "lead poisoning".

+1 Snuffy

I cast in a small entry way area. I open the door when its hot or let some of the flux smoke out and keep it closed if its to cold out. Wash hands after working with lead. And you shouldn't worry about lead fumes unless you are working with temps over 1000*F which is way to hot to cast.

Smelting is a different story. When melting wheel weights down I do it in my parents garage with doors open. My Coleman can't keep up with much of a breeze otherwise I would do it outside. The smoke from that is awful and I don't think its all that good for you.

Smelting is always done outside. ...and got interesting, once, when the sky spontaneously started dropping 1/2" hail into 60 lbs of alloy on a warm, clear day. There wasn't much I could do, but stand back and watch the show until it stopped. I still have a coffee can full of that "confetti" around here somewhere.

Many years ago when I first started to play around with smelting lead I had my pot set up on my fish cooker under the back eve of the house. It was mid summer, but still early enough I was in the shaded west side of the house.

About the time I had a good full pot melted down, I felt a cool breeze, no other warning, and within two to three seconds I had a torrential downpour in full swing. All I could do about it was turn off the gas at the bottle and like you watch the show. The pot was directly in line with the run off from the roof and there was enough tinsel to dress out several Christmas trees before it was cooled off.

Nowadays I check the weather before I start, but I still smelt down the dirty stuff outside, as the smoke is more than my fan can deal with. If working on blending alloys or smelting down clean lead like pure, or Iso core, I simply set up in front of my shops back door with a fan hanging in the doors screen window right above the pot. Then I open up the inside sliding door about 3" and it provides a great ventilating breeze. For casting sessions I do the same thing, set up the fan in the window and crack open the other door. If it's hot weather, I can fire up the 2T window unit in the adjacent room which gives me a cool breeze to sit in front of. My shop table, where I set up my 4-20 pot, ends within 4' of the sliding door, so it makes it nice in just about any weather.

Best is outside especially if its not clean like WW or Xray room Lead sheets that have a sticker glue on it.

Casting you can do inside (outside still better) but make sure you have proper Vent.

Snuffy,
I'm not as concerned about the lead as I am the heat. I keep the doors open and the fan running to keep it cooler. I live in Texas, so heat is part of life around here and something we learn to deal with.

Back