Where do the American people really stand on gun control?

Where do the American people really stand on gun control and gun rights from truly unbiased sources?

How do so many anti-gunners get in power? Could it be that many voters vote certain politicians in based on matters outside of gun rights or gun control? Is the 2nd A somehow less important than saving trees and spotted owls? Could it be that some anti-gun candidates in disguise campaigned on something like healthcare and jobs but when they got in they went after gun rights like mad?:mad:

The Demos took over TWH, the House and the Senate last November but Americans, ironically, bought guns in record numbers too last year and many were liberals and first-time gun buyers......hmmm, how's all this disparity between the popularity of buying firearms and voting out GOP control in Washington even possible? It doesn't figure.

Gun control is only 1 issue out of dozens. More people felt the other issues were more important. And they understand that while some people on the left talk gun control, nothing much is going to happen.

Where do the American people really stand on gun control and gun rights from truly unbiased sources?

I suspect it would be hard to get info from unbiased sources. Virtually all the lawmakers and judges have armed protection and it wouldn't be surprising if the lawmakers also owned guns. There are at least 300-400 million guns in the U.S. so there are a lot of people who like guns :)

I fully support gun control. Everyone should have as many as they want, as long as they can effectively control said guns to reliably hit their targets.

How many days has Biden been in office? Lets see----

The Senate doesn't even want the Discussion Phase to begin on the Senate Floor regarding Univ. Background Checks. Never mind the more serious, politically Dingbat anti-gun "wish list" to distract people from the :o Actual multiple crises.
This lack of anti-gun action is not a simple set of coincidences month, after month...after month....

The Senator Joe Manchin, Kristin Synema "factors" (the Dems seldom now have any majority), the nervousness about the 2022 and 2024 elections, the Filibuster problem, the huge number of previous Plus new gun owners who vote Dem. or Independent. Do these factors not exist? I'm just asking----

Even the much-feared Obama - who Planned on Healthcare as his Major legislation - wouldn't touch any serious anti-gun legislations....despite what almost everybody predicted....who didn't understand 'limited political capital', and that people wanted 'more' affordable ;) healthcare and money in their pockets after 2008.

I'm curious how any anti-gun legislation could now pay off college debts, help people find more jobs (aside from the payments to just play video games), put more police on the streets of cities, keep home prices and raw materials from climbing? :confused: ..... by denying what puts more money and security in Americans' pockets?

Last edited:
This is anecdotal evidence only...that is, no real proof but I think more and more people are lying to pollsters for sport now days.

Also because a lot of this is nobody elses business.

Makes me give almost all polls not much credibility.

Another point is that pollsters don't like calling cell phones and last I read over 50 percent of homes do not have landlines. Not sure if it has changed but a few years ago, the law stated a pollster must individual dial a cell phone number in person not by automation. (Granted spammers don't care, but legit pollsters do.)

Also, people with cell phones tend to only answer a call from a number they know, either by sight or via an app that blocks all number that are not in contacts and forces them to leave a message.

And who knows where the cell phone is located. More and more people move and they do not change their cell phone numbers to their new state. (I lived in UT for and ID for over 10 years with a MI phone number from Oakland county; finally changing to an ID number.)

And, as much as I hate to sound political, one party in this equation lies and has learned that if a lie is repeated enough times, it will be deemed the truth by many.

Also, people with cell phones tend to only answer a call from a number they know, either by sight or via an app that blocks all number that are not in contacts and forces them to leave a message.

This is probably the #1 factor in why polling is so unreliable now. It allows for a tremendous amount selection bias and confirmation bias, and the data is easy to skew.

The general trend for gun control has always been pretty much the same: when there's a tragedy, a majority of the American people want "something" done about the problem in general. When specific measures are proposed in detail, that support drops.

I fully support gun control. Everyone should have as many as they want, as long as they can effectively control said guns to reliably hit their targets.
Me too, gun control is important. You must learn how to control your gun for recoil management and follow up shots

What do People really feel about de-funding the Police?
What do people really feel about the rising violent crime?
What do people really feel about "Mostly Friendly Protest?

A few people might actually go out and purchase their own protection. Just a few mind you.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there which contributes to the anti-2A rhetoric. I mean, the statistics are there for anyone willing to look, but some choose not to. Also, I have to remind people that gun ownership encompasses a wide political/cultural/racial spectrum and isn’t just white Conservatives. And, it’s already been mentioned but the calls to defund the police and escalating crime motivated people to buy guns for the first time. Dems have basically made a case for gun ownership as opposed to against because they showed voters that no police means no one can protect you but you.

I also don’t think it helps gun owners in the least bit when people like Ted Nugent opens his mouth whenever the gun control debate comes up. I’m not saying he’s not right about the issue but I firmly believe that pro-2A groups need to enlist someone who’s more even keeled and doesn’t come off sounding like a lunatic.

In over 20 years of discussing "controversial" topics with friends, co-workers and customers, on both sides of the political divide, the topic of "gun control" has come up once.

.. and that was to question why educators are not allowed to arm themselves if they so choose. Everyone, no matter what their political leaning, supported that.

The rest is made up BS driven by the divisive media.

Alongcamejones said:

Most people haven't given any real thought to any of their constitutional rights, so asking how they respond to a question says everything about the question and little about its political and legal consequences.

Could it be that some anti-gun candidates in disguise campaigned on something like healthcare and jobs but when they got in they went after gun rights like mad?

It could well be that those candidates have a view on a wide range of specific issues that are tied by an underlying, coherent view.

...how's all this disparity between the popularity of buying firearms and voting out GOP control in Washington even possible? It doesn't figure.

Why wouldn't it figure? The reason one buys a firearm may not be connected at all with a belief that people have a right to arms. One could believe that other peoples' guns are a general danger, but that one's own gun is necessary protection. That view isn't very insightful, but it illustrates a common pattern in reasoning on a range of issues.

How many times have you heard or read an argument for greater controls that begins "I'm a gun owner, but..."?

If gun control was popular with the American public we wouldn't have so many threads about shortages. Polls are flawed, but you can see the reality clearly on ammo shelves in stores.

A recent Zogby poll of likely voters showed 63-29% support for CCW:
https://news.yahoo.com/americans-back-carry-concealed-guns-153600022.html

The Yahoo article is oddly worded, but it also does say that there's now more support for nationwide CCW reciprocity. Biden will never sign it even if it could possibly pass the house. Biden's nominee for BATFE is the very definition of a gun banner that has vowed to re-interpret previous BATFE rulings and statements on whole classes of firearms. He wants to declare semi-auto firearms as machineguns. The antis may not be able to pass their preferred laws, but they'll get their way by re-interpretations of the existing rules. No senator or representative need take the heat for an anti-2A vote if it gets done in the back rooms. Elections have consequences.

The idea that "the American people" all agree on ANY issue is a flawed assumption.

The answer to the OP's question is that there are 328 million people in the US, with a huge diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and opinions.

That's how a democracy is supposed to work: there is no One Size Fits All, so we have to find compromises, which in turn means that some people aren't going to like some of the decisions made by the body as a whole.

I also don’t think it helps gun owners in the least bit when people like Ted Nugent opens his mouth whenever the gun control debate comes up. I’m not saying he’s not right about the issue but I firmly believe that pro-2A groups need to enlist someone who’s more even keeled and doesn’t come off sounding like a lunatic.

The NRA had Colion Noir before, and I think he'd be a great one still when it comes to sounding smart and even keeled...

zukiphile

"Why wouldn't it figure? The reason one buys a firearm may not be connected at all with a belief that people have a right to arms. One could believe that other peoples' guns are a general danger, but that one's own gun is necessary protection. That view isn't very insightful, but it illustrates a common pattern in reasoning on a range of issues.

How many times have you heard or read an argument for greater controls that begins "I'm a gun owner, but..."? "

It sounds like there are some hypocrites with guns. "I should have them but I don't care if others get denied gun ownership." But what if anti-gun legislation develops so that these hypocrites can't even buy guns for themselves?

I've heard one man i know say, "I should be able to carry a gun on the streets because I was a victim of sexual assault." Sheriff Doyle, in gun-hating Marin County, CA had denied him a gun permit upon application. I heard there were only two CCW holders in that entire county. They were probably issued as political favors. I hate it whenever the 2nd A is played with like some political football.

Back