Where do I start? Tactical training/competition

RCPractitioner

I don't think I have the equipment or skill to compete or participate yet but where do I look to get involved in this? I want to learn and compete in tactical training courses. I am licensed to CC and I would like to learn how to maximize my skill for real world situations both in the street and at home. I am not a LEO can I still participate? I know these are probably dumb ignorant questions but I don't know anyone to ask. What kind of different competitions or training are there? What do the different acromyms of the clubs stand for? What kind of equipment would one need to get started? (you can see what I have in my sig). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am in the DFW area. Thanks!

Your question is much too broad to answer other than with a book. Having said this, search Amazon etc., for books on the subject of action pistol competition and buy and read a few.

As far as not being ready to compete, the reading will show you what skills and safe gun handling practices you should posses.

I want to learn and compete in tactical training courses
Competition and tactical training generally have different goals, with overlap in skills applied.

The nature of competition is that it is scored and based on a controlled and probably known situation. The nature of defense is that it happens unexpectedly with no script. Competition does not teach tactics, but it can help improve your marksmanship, gun-handling, and mindset.

Since you're in TX, I suggest contacting the TacPro Shooting Center http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/ which does classes on self defense and should have contact info on different competition in the region.

-z

Training

There are many fine Books and videos out there. If you need a list of places to get them from send me and E-mail and I'll be glad to send you a list. If not there are many fine schools in your area that will teach you what you need to know the only draw back to them is they are not cheap but you learn a lot from them.

There is a shooting range just off of Luna Road and Hwy 114 - I would bet you dollars to donuts that if you drove over there and talked to the range folks that they could steer you in the right direction very easily. :D

Many people (even from out-of-state) feel that the "Concealed Carry for Citizens" course from SigArms Academy is worth the trip.

Although I'm local, I feel the course was excellent, and addressed the issues you raised. I felt the same way you do before I took the course.

Back