Where can I find info on mausers

Scratch

I'd like to find a place on the web if possible to find information on Mauser type rifles. I'm interested in possible one or three of these but have no ideas what I'm looking for and what is preferable and what is not.
I got some info from a page at www.empirearms.com but would like a whole lot more.
Thanks
Scratch

You didn't really specify what kind of Mausers you were interested in, but THE definitive works on Mauser rifles are:

For the Model 98K: BACKBONE OF THE WEHRMACHT in 2 Volumes (Don't remember authors off hand).

For general coverage of Mausers:
MAUSER BOLT RIFLES (Olsen)
MAUSER MILITARY RIFLES OF THE WORLD (Ball)

For Commercial Sporters:
MAUSER ORIGINAL OBENDORF SPORTING RIFLES (Speed, Schmid, Herrman)

Personally, I don't really trust internet sources for accurate, detailed information and the above references are authoritative.

Depends a lot on how much info you want and how accurate you want it. Many web sites are full of errors, even though aimed at the beginner level. (One site didn't know the difference between a U.S. Model 1917 and a Model 1903 Springfield.) Books are generally better, though some of those are better than others.

On Mausers, I think I would start with Olsen's book if available, then Mauser Military Rifles of the World.

If you are interested in bolt action rifles in general, The Bolt Action (Vol 1) by Stuart Otteson is indispensable.

Try the following sites:
www.98k.com, www.recguns.com, and www.mauser-werke.com/mboard.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited January 25, 2000).]

Back