Where are all the HiCap P99 mags coming from?

chiz45

Nowadays, i see several vendors selling these Walther P99 hicaps in 9mm and .40 cal. I assumed by the name that P99 meant made in 1999. If so, what's the story??

[Edited by chiz45 on 05-10-2001 at 04:47 PM]

I believe that all legal magazines were made back in 1994. About 2000 9mm magazines made it into the U.S.A. in time.
No idea where the rest come from.

I do know that someone in the U.S. is buying a lot of P99 magazines from at least one Finnish gun store. Seems they've gone through the mail OK so far...

Mec-Gar :)

Has anyone else noticed that some of the P99 mags have different baseplates, on some the Walther logo faces toward the front and on others it faces towards the back?

As for the 1999 date, actually the gun was introduced in 1997 in the US, and apparently mags were made in 1994 while the gun was being tested here.

man, i'm not sure what the profit margin is on these mags--i see them for $90-125--but that sure doesn't seem worth running amuck with the law.

I remember seeing these things about 6 months ago, and was puzzled. I find that odd that a manufacturer such as MecGar would produce a magazine 3 years PRIOR to it being introduced here in the US market. Oh well, to each his own. The only double stack i shoot is a browning high power anyway.

chiz45

chiz45,
You might look in the archives for other threads on this topic. It is my understanding that Walther brought the "P99" over here for police trials back during or before Sept. '94 and as previously mentioned, they brought a bunch of the 16 round magazines along with the pistols. It does kinda make you wonder how they have been able to stretch out a finite number of pre-ban magazines for this long. Even at $125 a pop. I have two of these magazines myself that I bought from KY Imports a couple of years ago. They are new and unused and I will probably just keep them stored away.

Only the baseplate of the magazine really had to be made before the ban, so when the ban was about to take place manufacturers made a gazillion of them...

i emailed Mecgar regarding my question, and received a prompt reply . If anyone is interested, I can forward a copy of it to your email. Basically, the Mecgar rep claims NO "preban" hi-cap mags exist for this weapon. Pretty scary what is going on out there.

chiz45

Pre-ban P99 Mags

Mecgar is wrong or is saying that to be in a favorable position with BATF. You can send a note to Earl's Repair Service (info@carlwalther.com) and get his view. According to him (and other sources), the P99 and a quantity of mags (this is disputed as I've heard between 2000 and 5000) were produced for the GERMAN police trials of the firearm well before the 11/94 ban. Earl himself imported some into the US and he claims he is the only "legal" source of them. I'm not disputing Earl at all, and he's most likely right. And he wouldn't be selling his P-99s with "illegal" standard capacity magazines (16 round) like he does. I purchased a MI-6 P-99 from him with three 16 rounders. :D

As it has been said many times before in many groups, if it ain't stamped, the burden of proof is on the BATF to prove that it is post ban. If it can be established (and I believe Earl has done that) that there were some produced before the ban, then there's no way for BATF to prove you didn't get them legally (resale of Earl's, etc.).

James

Pre ban mags

I heard one of the reasons CA banned over 10 rd mags is that "counterfeight" pre ban mags were coming out of Mexico. The Federal law simply gives drug dealers another valuable comodity to import to the states. After all, with unmarked mags enforcement is futile. I don't believe the supply is "limited" it just can't be well marked. rc

Your bring up a point I have been thinking about. I travel internationally on an occasional basis and have thought about trying to bring back some used pre-ban mags. My only concern is being legal but I have yet to investigate the law on this.

Anyone know how to legally import pre-ban mags?

If they're not marked one way or the other, how will you know that you're buying a pre-ban magazime when you're overseas?

Also, has someone taken apart their P99 high-cap to look inside for a tell-tale mark that denotes it either as pre or post-ban? Both a "pre-ban from Earl's" and a "pre-ban" from another source should be compared!

On the other hand, if it's there, I'm sure it would be encoded so as to minimize frauds.

"Anyone know how to legally import pre-ban mags?"

I'm interested too as I will be going to Germany in a couple of weeks. Other posts discussing this have been a little vague and would like to know from someone who has done it or knows definitely.

Back