When's a Shotgun Not a Shotgun

HughScot

I read the most amazing thing yesterday, the ATF says a shotgun must have a stock for firing from the shoulder. If it has a pistol grip it is not a shotgun. This is probably old news but it blew my mind.

In some states, if the total OAL of the firearm is to short, its treated as a handgun. State and Federal law do not always match.

It's old news for a lot of us. The ATF says a LOT of things that blow people's minds. AND, they change their minds from time to time, about what is, and isn't regulated, and how it is determined.

To find even a shred of logic (IF it actually exists) you have to look at how they define all the terms they use in definitions.

If it has a stock, and was designed to be fired from the shoulder, its a shotgun, a legal classification with a set of definitions. IF you cut the stock OFF, then its a "sawed off" shotgun (if it falls below the Fed overall min length)

If you cut the barrels short (below Fed min length) its also a "sawed off shotgun", even if the overall length is legal.

If the gun was never made with a stock, and was not designed to be fired from the shoulder, then it is a "smoothbore handgun", which is ALSO a regulated item, and has essentially the same requirements to own and penalties for non compliance that a sawed off shotgun has.

Its just different terms, and definitions all leading to the same place, if its not rifled, and under certain length specifications, then it is NFA regulated.

(also, just FYI, if it IS rifled, and under certain length specification, it is also NFA regulated - short barrel rifles and stocked pistols).

"...the ATF says..." Happens when elected representatives allow unelected civil servants to make law by regulation. Saddest part is they've exported that idea. sniff.
Same bunch says it's ok to possess .30 AP ammo, but 7.62NATO AP(M61 ammo, Stateside) is not.
Mind you, those unelected civil servants(Fish and Game types) also say a shotgun with a rifled barrel is still a shotgun.
"...To find even a shred of logic..." GEEZUZ! Don't even try. Give you brain damage.

If the gun was never made with a stock, and was not designed to be fired from the shoulder, then it is a "smoothbore handgun", which is ALSO a regulated item, and has essentially the same requirements to own and penalties for non compliance that a sawed off shotgun has.

My PGO 500 bought decades ago was an "AOW", Any Other Weapon; no regulation involved. They are still available to this day, IIRC.

44 AMP ....If the gun was never made with a stock, and was not designed to be fired from the shoulder, then it is a "smoothbore handgun", which is ALSO a regulated item, and has essentially the same requirements to own and penalties for non compliance that a sawed off shotgun has.
Not exactly.
Several manufacturers market "pistol grip only" firearms that expel a shotgun shell. They are Title I firearms and recorded as "Other Firearm" on the 4473.

FITASC My PGO 500 bought decades ago was an "AOW", Any Other Weapon; no regulation involved. They are still available to this day, IIRC.
Not AOW, but Other Firearm......there is a huge difference.

An AOW or Any Other Weapon is an NFA firearm, requiring a $200 tax stamp to make or a $5 tax stamp to transfer. If you want to put a shoulder stock on it you'll have to pay $200 to make it a short barreled shotgun.

Be careful out there

The Gun Police have a tough job with lots of bureaucratic pressure

When it comes to seemingly minor technical violations do not assume they will give you a break

I never knew that ,I got a Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12 Ga. pump shotgun,and bought a folding ATI stock for it a month ago.So I guess I made it a shotgun right?:D

Is your Mossberg pistol grip labeled with anything that would suggest it has to be a pistol or shotgun. Maybe a name code or addition to the serial number. If not I guess nobody knows.

Just got a 500a and 500c here.

Blindstitch Is your Mossberg pistol grip labeled with anything that would suggest it has to be a pistol or shotgun.
Smoothbore firearms that expel a shotgun shell cannot be a "pistol".
A Mossberg is only sold as a shotgun (has bbl and shoulder stock) or as an Other Firearm (a firearm with a pistol grip that expels a shotgun shell).

Back