When you get old you have to..........

bswiv

When you get old you have to come up with better ( EASIER! ) ways to do things.

This morning on the lake.......biggest one this year.....12' 10' and 700# or so.

When we finally admitted to ourselves that we could not pull him over the side we had to do some thinking. First thought was that we'd haul him up shallow and one of us would get in and lift, which changes the angle and makes things easier.

As you can see, except for some sweat everyone is dry......which means we are all smarter than Louann who would have been right in there.......so we came up with better plan.

What we did, and I think you can see it in the picture, is attach the block & tackle to a cypress tree and run the lines over the boat. This alowed us to haul him in without to much trouble.

He's short for his head size and girth but still a fine one.

009_zps858ca905.jpg

022_zpsf6d549e9.jpg

030_zps2e73f586.jpg

034_zps8e1089d0.jpg

045_zps410eec38.jpg

You've got to learn to lie better, bswiv. ;)

They catch 'em half that size on TV and they're "1,000 pound monsters". Yours MUST be a ton. Easy. :D

I always wondered why you didn't hook up an electric winch to the boat.

Been thinking about that every since bswiv's previous thread titled:
"What are the options.....?"

Why not tie head off to cleat so as head is out of water and drag gator home or make some kind of 'gator boogie board' with the front of board out of water anchored to rear boat cleat and maybe tow eyelet.

Anyways, keep the pics coming. Nice gator.

Last edited:
WOW!
I am now officially impressed! What a monster! I bet that would get the adrenaline pumping a bit more than your standard bass.:D

Answers........

The hides........we don't know yet. Rumor is prices are up but over the last 2 years we've been putting some of the rougher ones straight into the dumpster. And sadly the larger males, like this one, tend to be scared up and therefore not to nice.

The meat on the other hand is worth a good bit and we sell it out of the fish market big time. We are the only place in the Jacksonville area that processes gators and sell fresh meat so it's a good market for us.

2. Will she let me put it on the wall..........NO! To small..........

3. Age.......best guess is in the 15-18 year range. Very hard to tell on gators according to the FWC. We hunted this one a number of times over the last 3 years and he was big when we first saw him. They grow very slow after they get to the 10 foot plus point.

4. As for our own TV show......we don't qualify because our family tree has branched...........

We are the only place in the Jacksonville area that processes gators and sell fresh meat so it's a good market for us.

May have sampled some of your gator.

Friend of mine from Ohio, a more senior fella named Don Stump, has a winter place in Jacksonville area. He used to bring me back gator every year from a fresh fish market in Jacksonville. Course that was after I quit going to Fla. in the winter.

People have told me that gator tastes like chicken. Others have said that rattlesnake tastes like chicken. Still others that turtle tastes like chicken

Accordingly, I asked the manager of the local Chick-Fil-A since they all taste like chicken, how do I know what I am getting in a sandwich?:)

I'd like to try both rattlesnake and gator.
Jerry

" When you get old you have to.........."

Pee more often.....

Boy isn't that the truth!

Advantage of getting older is you're forced to learn that peeing around or out of your deer stand does NOT scare deer away. Wish I knew that 20yrs ago. :o

Back