When you are cleaning your Sig P238 . . .

Prof Young

When you are cleaning your Sig P238 don't get zealous and try to clean under the safety lever by pushing the lever up beyond its normal spot. There is a spring loaded catch under there and if you aren't careful it will go flying off in to oblivion. After looking for 20 minutes I was ready to give up and buy a new one. Figured I reassemble the gun with out that piece . . . and there . . . .laying on the grip . . . was the piece I thought had flown off. Size of a grain of rice. It's a good day when that happens.

Life is good . . . so long as the shooting range stays open.

Prof Young

Congrats...I've lost 'em on the floor of the loading/cleaning room, living room rug, and once while hunkered down in a bunker while being mortered in Vietnam...this last was a 1911 recoil spring and plug. Found the spring but ended up using a spent .45 ACP shell case for the plug...a nice design element by J. Browning, who evidently knew about fumble-fingered, scared GI's...Rod

The spring and plunger are copied directly from the parent Star pistols ( particularly the DK .380) and used by Colt and Kimber also. I have ordered from Sig for replacements for Star pistols and suggested same to others who have launched parts into outer space, cost was $5 for each plunger and each spring so don’t loose them too often.

Brought my 238 home, stripped it for cleaning.......and yes, that little sucker wen't flying. I never found it. I sent it back to Sig for repair and I've never touched the safety for cleaning since.

Thanks rodfac . . .

Rodfac thanks for the info. Next time I clean the 1911 I'll probably try that out just to see it work.

And thanks for you service to our USA.

Life is good.
Prof Young

The most problems I've had is Ruger revolvers changing that hammer spring takes 3 hands it seems. I put it in a plastic bag when I change them to capture the spring and the base plate when they try to launch into low orbit [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip Prof Young! I’ve done something similar on two other handguns:

1. Lost the detent plunger on a Star Model B by over rotating the safety with the slide off. I ended up fashioning a replacement with some judicious filing of a from the shaft of a broken drill bit. Lucky for me, the Star’s detent spring stayed in place.

2. If I remember the gun correctly, an internal spring on a P64 trigger flew off during a reassembly. Since it was just a range gun, once again I cobbled a replacement from some other spring I had on hand. It worked, but was not elegant (meaning it was a bubba repair). About 3 weeks later, I was closing the magnetic catch on my laptop shoulder bag and it wouldn’t snap shut. Lo-and-behold, the little spring had been captured by the magnet and had ridden around with me for weeks. Sometimes Providence smiles on us fools!

Back