When to replace ammo in carry gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had same ammo in my carry gun (38 revolver) for about 20 years now,,i'm sure i need to just shoot it up and buy some new, but how long does ammo in a handgun in a glovebox last anyway? what is the recommended replacement time?

Mercy, I wouldn't have a clue how long it would be good for.
I just can't seem to not shoot my ammo up. I'll load up a couple boxes and it seems I always find leafs and such mocking me while I stroll through the woods.
then I have to set down and load some more. Between me, my wife and son, my press stays pretty active.

I don't know if I would shoot 20 year old ammunition that has spent a lot of time in a glove box. Sometime in the glove box is fine. However, years of temperature extremes (particularly high temperatures) and vibration could possibly cause the powder to begin decaying :eek:. If this has taken place, pressure inside the cartridge case can spike dangerously! Now, if the ammunition had been stored in a closet where the temperature was fairly cool and stable, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. New bullets aren't excessively expensive; I would just buy some more. Replacing your carry load at least every 6-12 months probably wouldn't be a bad idea :).

We have an ongoing, and quite active, discussion as noted by TailGator, so I'm going to close this one.

No sense in having largely identical competing discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back